A fixed term consultant urologist position is available from January 2021 for up to 12 months for a surgeon who holds, or is eligible to hold, vocational or general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand. The post is full time, based in a district general, public hospital and remunerated according to the standard national framework for Senior Medical Officers. Clinical duties are combined with educational duties with junior doctors and medical students. The hospital is located in an attractive city which is 90 minutes drive from Auckland and boasts a hot sunny climate and stunning natural beauty.
350 bed district general hospital serving a regional population of almost 200,000 with 24/7 Emergency Department, medical, surgical, paediatric, obstetric and gynaecology services and psychiatry supported by radiology and pathology departments. The hospital is the main one of the region and has 3 satellite smaller hospitals. Tertiary referrals go to Auckland. Most hospital departments are accredited for postgraduate training by the appropriate Royal Colleges. Some travel to the peripheral hospitals my be required for occasional clinics.
Full time consultant with 1 in 4 on call, although some flexibility of duties can be organised. Your main duties summarised below:
- Take professional care of and undertake delegated clinical responsibilities for patients admitted under your care.
- Conduct outpatient clinics and ward rounds, and other duties using the allocated time efficiently and effectively.
- Supervise registrar and house officer activity to ensure patient care is safely delivered in accordance with standards and policy.
- Manage workload to ensure clinical time is reallocated where cancellations of one aspect of clinical care occur i.e. theatre cancellations.
- Consult and dictate promptly for all patients seen in outpatient clinics for a specialist opinion.
- Planned care activity targets met.
- Utilise staff, technology, pharmaceuticals, clinical supplies and all other NDHB resources prudently and efficiently for cost effective patient care.
The city of Whangarei is a thriving city with a vibrant arts community. Quayside at the town basin is a sophisticated yet leisurely centre for eating and entertainment. Modern landscaping blends perfectly with colonial architecture to create a gathering place for locals, visitors and yachties from all over the world. As well as stylish cafes and restaurants, there are museums, art galleries and specialty shops.
The surrounding region is a beautiful part of New Zealand with warm summers, mild winters and lots of opportunities for outdoor activities on land and at sea just two hours' drive from Auckland, with regular flights to and from Auckland Airport.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV or contact us. Similar roles can be viewed on our website