Role Title: Specialist Anaesthetist
Contract: Full time and fixed term contract of 12 months
The growth of anaesthesia services in the general hospital in Tauranga has created an opportunity for two Specialist Anaesthetists to join the Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management.
The hospital serves a population of 230,000 (and increasing) in the Western Bay of Plenty, one of New Zealand’s fastest growing and most sought-after regions. It is also a teaching campus for the medical school of Auckland University
The role is based in the western part of the region but some sessions in the eastern Bay will be required, a 90-minute drive away.
The main hospital is a level 5 hospital with 24/7 emergency department, acute services including general medicine and medical sub-specialties, Cardiology, Intensive Care, Paediatrics, O&G, Mental Health, Orthopaedics, General and Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT and Ophthalmology. Waikato Hospital is the adult tertiary referral service, Starship for Paediatric tertiary services. It has a clinical school affiliated with the University of Auckland and is accredited for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
Skill and Qualifications
Applicants must hold or be eligible for vocational registration with the New Zealand Medical Council and hold FRANZCA or equivalent qualifications.
As well as excellent clinical skills, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in these key areas:
- Innovation of services and an enthusiasm for creative problem solving. You will be responsible for the integration of primary and secondary care services.
- Dedication to the provision of service quality
- Team working to effectively achieve defined goals.
- Understanding of cultural diversity and sensitive cultural issues
- Ability to provide integrated care within several disciplines
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Commitment to education and inspiration of junior medical staff, medical students and other health professionals studying at the University of Auckland and the Bay of Plenty Clinical School.
- Interest in clinical research
- Anaesthesia Services: Provide effective, efficient, and professional clinical anaesthetic care services when required including anaesthesia in the Operating Suite, Day Stay Unit, Radiology, Maternity Unit, Pre-assessment Clinics, and other rostered duties.
- Communication: Maintain an accurate, legible, and current medical record.
- Team Work: Function as part of a multidisciplinary team to promote high quality outcomes for patients by consistently demonstrating effective interpersonal relationships with other staff and patients, and handling problems with sensitivity.
- Liaise with medical staff in other departments and in other hospitals to ensure that patients are investigated in an appropriate and cost-effective manner. This commitment includes taking part in departmental meetings with other disciplines as required.
- Innovation and Service Development: Participate in the following activities required of Senior Medical staff: planning and service development for the Surgical, Anaesthesia & Radiology Services, and policy development, planning, contracting and evaluation for the BOPDHB
- Audit: Provide and participate in educational and service audit activities required of Senior Medical Staff, including review of patient care, patient diagnosis and standards of treatment
- Education: instruct, guide, and supervise the work of other staff involved in anaesthetic/intensive care services when appropriate and as required (ie. Anaesthetic Care Registrars, Technicians, and other relevant health professionals).
Tauranga is a vibrant city and the surroundings are spectacular with beautiful beaches and countryside in close proximity. The Coromandel, East Cape and Auckland are all an easy drive away, as are the ski fields of the Central Plateau and Lake Taupō. There is outstanding access to outdoor recreational opportunities and a wide-range of schooling options, both public and private, an Institute of Technology and a recent addition is the University of Waikato Campus. Lifestyle options are diverse, and you can live 20 minutes from the hospital on a lifestyle block, in the bush, on an estuary with a boat or kayak or at the beachside town of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please forward your CV for immediate consideration. Three professional references are required.