A new and unique opportunity for a Specialist Respiratory Physician is now open in a 350-bed regional secondary care hospital just 2 hours’ drive from Auckland. It is a full time, permanent role encompassing clinical and educational duties working within a diverse population. A relocation package is on offer for international physicians.
The hospital has 350 beds and offers a full range of medical and surgical services to adults and children of all ages and demographics including a 24 hour emergency department and radiological and pathology support. The catchment area covers over 12600 kilometres spreading over the north west tip of the North Island of New Zealand and is populated by almost 200,000 people with a high Maori demographic, which has specific health problems. The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small provincial hospitals offering basic medical services and in turn, is supported by tertiary hospitals in Auckland.
The hospital is accredited for postgraduate medical training by the Royal Colleges of Australia and New Zealand and participates in medical student teaching for the two medical schools in New Zealand, Auckland and Otago.
The role is based in a department of internal medicine which has a range of acute medical services and you will deliver the respiratory medicine service and practice internal medicine participating on the on call rota.
Typical duties include
- Participation in ward rounds, out patient clinics and multidisciplinary meetings to establish patient care plans
- Manage referrals from other specialists and GPs
- Supervise and teach junior physicians
You will need:
- Primary medical qualification eligible for full registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (conditional or temporary registration may be acceptable under certain circumstances)
- Specialist post-graduate qualification eligible for registration on the Vocational register with the Medical Council of New Zealand. This qualification must be in the general field of internal medicine (FRACP) (recognisable other specialist qualifications may be acceptable in certain situations).
- Current Driver’s License – valid for New Zealand
- Qualify to undergo “Maintenance of Profession Standards” requirements of the RACP
- Excellent teamworking and communication skills are essential to the successful delivery and improvement of the clinical services.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
Visit the news page and check out the latest articles and features about New Zealand.
Related articles to this role: