These roles are accredited by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians for basic training in paediatrics and are suitable for Paediatric Basic Trainees with at least six months of paediatric experience and for Advanced Trainees in other specialities needing paediatric experience such as emergency medicine or anaesthesia.
The Paediatric Department is a busy supportive department of 14 Senior Medical Officers (consultants / specialists) and 2 Fellows on the consultant roster, and provides an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience in managing a wide range of acute Paediatric presentations.
Located in a district general hospital with 250 beds, there are 22 general paediatric beds, a 4 bed day stay unit, and a 12 bed level 2 SCBU.
Registrars are rostered in supervised outpatient clinics, and are on an 8 person roster that includes day shifts, evenings, long days and nights with a 1:8 frequency.
- Daily management of inpatient, paediatric and neonatal care, clerking admissions and discharges.
- RMOs are expected to respond to Emergency Department calls.
- The Registrar is responsible for giving advice and support to the RMOs and supervising the
- initial assessment of referrals from GPs and Midwives.
- Attend high risk/emergency deliveries and liaise with the Consultant on call regarding unstable infants in SCBU.
- Supervise the care of the more complicated Paediatric or SCBU patients in liaison with the Paediatric Consultant involved.
- Supervise and assist in continuity of care of patients under the care of the part-time Paediatric Consultants.
- Organise overall investigation plan for patients and collate investigation results and effects of treatment.
- Medical degree and internship completed. UK graduates must have completed FY1
- Eligible for provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Previous Neonatal experience is desirable but not essential.
- salaried role
- pension benefits
- CME and excellent postgraduate training opportunities
- 6 or 12 month contract
If these roles are of interest, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
You will also require
- Three referee reports (one of whom must be your most recent supervisor).