Role: Registrar in General Surgery – Service role
Contract: Full time
This job is based in a general hospital with 350 beds which provides secondary care to a population of over 200,000 and functions as a regional oncology centre. The tertiary referral centre is in Wellington. There is access to all medical and surgical subspecialties with the exception of cardiothoracic surgery and neurosurgery.
- You will manage in patients, outpatients in the clinics, wards, operating theatres and do on call duties.
- Assist with the assessment and admission of acute and elective patients under the care of your team.
- Undertake clinical responsibilities as directed by the Consultant, also organise relevant investigations, ensure the results are followed up, sighted and signed.
- Responsible for patient referrals and day to day ward management of patients under their team’s care, in consultation with others involved in the care of the patient where appropriate.
- Maintain a high standard of communication with patients, patients’ families and staff.
- Inform Consultant of the status of patients especially if there is an unexpected event.
- Attend handover, team and departmental meetings as required.
- Assist with teaching of other team members including students and other healthcare professionals.
- Review and manage all referred patients to the Medical Service
- Give advice and liaise with GPs and other hospital medical staff
- Be part of the acute cardiac resuscitation team
- Eligible for provisional or full general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Completed internship
- Experience working in general surgery
- Resuscitation skills
- Team working skills
- Clear communication
- Salary paid in accordance with national pay scale for house officers
- Costs of Medical Council of New Zealand registration refunded
- 30 days paid annual leave
A major university city in the North island of New Zealand, Palmerston North is the home of Massey University and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two hour journey by road, as are the wine growing regions of Hawke’s Bay and Wairarapa.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the local region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels.
There are excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex. Cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable
If you are interested in this role, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
Register for job alerts on our website and follow new positions at twitter @odysseymedic