A Public Health Physician is sought for a role in New Zealand combining the functions of Medical Officer of Health with the more general role of population health expertise and advice, working in a beautiful region of the North Island close to Auckland and blessed with a warm year round climate.
- Public sector employer, regional health board
- Full time, permanent role
- Located in an area of stunning natural beauty and warm weather all round, offering a relaxed outdoor lifestyle which suits people interested in sailing, surfing and sports.
- Suitable for physicians who have completed specialist training in public health medicine
- Assistance with work permit / immigration and licence to practise
The Public Health Medicine Specialist/Medical Officer of Health (PHMS/MOH) position combines the statutory role of Medical Officer of Health for the DHB district, as designated by the Director-General of Health in terms of Section 7A of the Health Act 1956, with the more general role of providing population health expertise and advice for the public health unit.
- Undertake the statutory duties and responsibilities of the Medical Officer of Health, as defined by the relevant legislation, including acting as a Designated Officer.
- Provide population health advice and support to the Board of Directors the District Health Board, the Chief Executive and staff as appropriate.
- Provide a leadership role which encourages an evidence- based outcome-focused population health approach which works across sectors and in particular improves, promotes and protects the health of vulnerable populations in Northland.
- Communicate with health professionals, other government agencies, health organisations, the media and the public as necessary.
- Identify the effects on the population of adverse environmental factors and initiate action to control such hazards, in cooperation with such others who have statutory and professional responsibilities for environmental health.
- Provide public health medical advice to and liaise with local authorities, general practitioners, and other sectors in public health activities.
- Through the Manager, Ngā Tai Ora, have overall responsibility for the services of health protection officers and public health nurses in the areas of communicable disease control and environmental health protection.
- Through the Manager, Well Child Youth & Clinical, be responsible for providing public health medical advice to Public Health Nurses, and for delegating appropriate statutory functions to them.
- Through the Manager, Ngā Tai Ora, work closely with Health Protection Officers in the Physical Environments and Food Safety Programme contracts.
- Provide advice and assistance to the local Civil Defence controller of public health matters, in the event of a Civil Disaster
- Qualified Medical Practitioner, registered in New Zealand
- Specialist qualification in Public Health Medicine, recognized by the New Zealand Medical Council
- Seven years post-graduate medical experience.
- Experience in Public Health Medicine.
- Expertise with communicable disease control and environmental health work
THE HEALTH BOARD
The role is based in a region of the North Island of New Zealand with 4 hospitals covering an extensive area of territory. The largest hospital is a regional base hospital with 350 + beds providing secondary care services including 24/7 emergency department, medical and surgical specialties, ICU, ENT, O&G, Paediatrics and Psychiatry. The three smaller hospitals provide basic primary and secondary care. The population has complex health needs.
Dargaville Hospital is a 12 bed rural hospital with an Acute Assessment Unit, Outpatient clinics and many community based services. The cases managed at Dargaville Hospital are complex and interesting, with specialist support provided from Whangarei Hospital.
The successful applicant will be living in a beautiful part of New Zealand with warm summers, mild winters and lots of opportunities for outdoor activities on land and at sea just two hours' drive from Auckland, with regular flights to and from Auckland Airport.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
A QUICK OVER VIEW OF THE NEW ZEALAND HEALTH CARE SYSTEM