A full time and permanent role with one of New Zealand's district health boards in the North Island. The Public Health Department is tasked with delivering a range of strategic and operational services that promote and protect the health of the people and environment, and prevent disease across the region.
This specialist position is based in Whangārei where you will be part of a highly dedicated team passionate about improving the health and wellbeing of the people and reducing the health inequities in the community.
The region possesses some of the most scenic and exciting coastal areas of NZ in a subtropical climate; popular water recreation areas include Bay of Islands and Poor Knight Islands Reserves.
Your duties and areas of responsibility will be negotiated with the incumbent Medical Officers of Health and the Service Manager and will include:
- Undertake the statutory duties and responsibilities of the Medical Officer of Health, as defined by the relevant legislation, including acting as a Designated Officer.
- Provide population health advice and support to the Board of Directors of Northland District Health Board, the Chief Executive and staff as appropriate.
- Provide a leadership role which encourages an evidence-based outcome-focused population health approach which works across sectors and in particular improves, promotes and protects the health of vulnerable populations in Northland.
- Communicate with health professionals, other government agencies, health organisations, the media and the public as necessary.
- Identify the effects on the population of adverse environmental factors and initiate action to control such hazards, in cooperation with such others who have statutory and professional responsibilities for environmental health.
To be considered you need
- eligiblity for specialist registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in the scope of public health medicine
- OR eligible for locum tenens registration
- salary NZ $190,000 - 270,000 pa
- pension contributions
- reimbursement of medical practice costs
- on-going professional support including continued medical education, professional development and peer review
- active participation in a growing service with opportunities to expand your skills in response to the challenges within the region
- a balanced lifestyle supported by glorious scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. House pricing is realistic; road congestion minimal, car parking is always available
- an onsite gym and swimming pool.
- a competitive relocation package to support you and your family to make the move
- employer is an Approved Accredited Employer by New Zealand Immigration.
If this role is of interest to you, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.