A Registrar in Psychiatry is sought to join a regional base hospital in Western Australia for an appointment of up to 5 years duration. This is a service rather than a training role and is suitable for physicians wishing to have some work experience in psychiatry as well as those pursuing a career in the speciality.
- Public sector hospital in Western Australia
- Secondary care hospital
- Service role
- Experience in psychiatry required
- Must be eligible for provisional general registration in Australia
- Excellent working conditions
- Competitive salary package
The successful applicant will work as part of the multidisciplinary team and medical team. Under the supervision of a consultant psychiatrist, this position provides assessment and management of patients requiring specialist psychiatric management. The Psychiatry Registrar will also provide assessment and management advice to agencies referring patients who are affected by psychiatric symptomatology whilst also working with patients presenting in the hospital emergency department and the community as required.
Salary: MP Year 1-7 $130,145 - $174,823 p.a. (inclusive of base salary, 9.5% superannuation and professional development allowance)
In addition to the great salary employees enjoy an amazing range of benefits which may include (in line with operational requirements):
- Access to generous salary packaging arrangements.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Flexible leave arrangements.
- Professional Development Opportunities and Study leave/assistance.
- Other professional and location based allowances
- Qualifications: Medical Degree from WHO approved school
- Experience: Internship completed and 2 years of experience post internship
- License: General Registration or Eligibility for General Registration with the Medical Board of Australia
- Language: fluent English (IELTS Academic Module 7.5 average for non native speakers)
- Demonstrated clinical and procedural experience
- Preferably experienced in a similar healthcare system
The hospital has 66 hospital beds for acute medical, surgical, paediatric and maternity patients with a 24 hour Emergency Department, onsite chemotherapy and renal dialysis. It provides a comprehensive range of patient care service including medical imaging and pathology. Visiting specialist provide varied learning opportunities for junior doctors across a range of specialties. Geraldton Hospital offers a broad range of services, which provide excellent clinical experience and an outstanding educational program for interns and residents. There is a good track record of the trainees from here progressing to higher training jobs. The hospital offers an excellent supported environment that exposes the trainees to a spectrum of disease and practical learning opportunity. The community mental health and drug and alcohol service is undergoing a significant reform at the moment and an inpatient unit and a short stay unit are in the process of being built with practical completion by 2023. There is also a step up step down facility being built as well. This in an opportunity for the right applicant to have a major impact on the development of the service to enable its vision of providing best care to the community.
The hospital is based in a small city in coastal Western Australia situated around 450Km from the state capital, Perth. The city is a major seaport, an important service and logistics centre for regional mining, fishing, wheat, sheep and tourism industries. The regional climate is dry, hot and sunny with average temperatures of 24-44C and a low rainfall. The city is famous for horse racing and sea sports including sailing, snorkelling, scuba diving, fishing and paddle surfing. There are good schools in the residential areas which are located a short drive from the hospital.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
For country and location information, review our global mobility page and select country.
For general information, please review our blog and news page.