- Hospital in patient based role in general adult psychiatry
- Excellent career development opportunities
- Competitive salary, pension benefits and relocation package
We are looking for a specialist adult general psychiatrist to join the Mental Health and Addiction Services of a public sector hospital in New Zealand focusing on in patient acute psychiatry.
The psychiatry services have embarked on a significant redevelopment programme in the past 18 months, with a new Clinical Executive, and Multidisciplinary Executive Leadership Team, as well as practicing psychiatrists. The service is consolidating recent gains and the goal in the immediate future is to further develop an integrated range of well connected services along with community NGO partners.
The health board provides comprehensive community-based mental health services across the complete age range including:
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Comprehensive community adult services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
- Specialist services for Mental Health for the elderly
- Specialist community alcohol and drug services including OST services
- Comprehensive 24 hour acute care services (crisis intervention service)
- Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care-26 beds)
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Early intervention services
- Intensive community rehabilitation services.
The service has a commitment to continuing medical education and professional development and the peer review group is enrolled with the maintenance of professional standards programme of the Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.It is also recognised by the College for registrar training in inpatient, general adult community, and child and adolescent psychiatry.
The services are located in a 350 bed hospital catering to a regional population of 170,000 people. It has 24/7 emergency department, medical and surgical services and regional oncology services.
- To provide a high standard of clinical practice and clinical expertise and effective psychiatry services to the community and region served by the Organisation.
- To provide advice to as required to managers within the Mental Health & Addiction Service, on service management matters and professional standards of practice.
- To provide supervision and instruction for Resident Medical Officers rostered to the Mental Health & Addiction Service.
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualification
- Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in psychiatry
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- You can expect to have access to a thorough continuing medical education programme
- opportunities to participate in research projects, pursue subspecialist fields of interest and become involved with medical student and junior medical officer postgraduate education.
- Salary of NZ$ 200,000 – 300,000 pa
- Superannuation benefits
- 6 weeks annual paid leave
- Medical practice costs reimbursed
- Relocation costs for international physicians
The hospital is situated in a major university city and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two-hour journey by road, as are the local wine growing regions.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels.
There is excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex.
The cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
If you are interested in this role, please forward a detailed CV for immediate consideration.
If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts or get in touch to discuss.