A Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist is sought to join a team of four other Old Age Psychiatrists (3.2 FTE), a Registrar and House Surgeon. The chosen candidate will work in a well-functioning service that includes a 10 bed inpatient unit, multi-disciplinary community team that provides assessment and case management, and the integrated Community Outreach Service which provides individual and group therapies. MHSOP covers the whole Bay of Plenty DHB area, so some clinical time in Whakatane is an option. On-call duties are based in Tauranga on the general on-call roster, with Whakatane having a separate Adult Mental Health Service that will assess MHSOP crises.
The psychiatric service has embarked on a significant development programme in the past 18 months, with a new Multidisciplinary Executive Leadership Team.
The Mental Health and Addiction Services provide comprehensive community-based and inpatient based mental health services across the complete age range.
This role can offer:
- A well-established group of peers for you to join.
- General Adult Inpatient and outpatient services, Psychogeriatrics, Consult Liason, Child and Adolescent, Drug and Alcohol and Maternal Mental Health services.
- Experience in a teaching hospital with Psychiatric Registrars Training through the Upper Central North Island (UCNI) training scheme and 5th and 6th year medical students through the University of Auckland.
- Opportunities for research and teaching roles through our clinical campus and close links with Auckland University.
- Opportunities for involvement in service development and clinical leadership.
The department has a commitment to continuing medical education and professional development and its peer review group is enrolled with the maintenance of professional standards programme of the Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. The hospital is recognised by the College for registrar training in inpatient, general adult community, and child and adolescent psychiatry.
There are opportunities to participate in the further development of the service delivery model, develop an area of special interest or become involved in research. The role is both hospital and communit based.
Located in the vibrant city of Tauranga, the surroundings are spectacular with beautiful beaches and wilderness areas all close by, and the Coromandel, East Cape and Auckland are all an easy drive away, as are the ski fields of the Central Plateau and Lake Taupo. There is outstanding access to outdoor recreational opportunities and a wide-range of schooling options, both public and private, an Institute of Technology and a recent addition is a University of Waikato Campus. Lifestyle options are diverse and you can live 20 mins from the hospital on a lifestyle block, in the bush, on an estuary with a boat or kayak in the garden or in the trendy Mount Maunganui.
- Vocationally registered psychiatrist with The Medical Council of NZ or eligible for this.
- Fellowship with the RANZCP or the equivalent is essential.
- A Certificate of Advanced Training in Psychiatry of Old Age is preferable.