A Consultant Psychiatrist is sought for a senior role in a regional hospital in New Zealand's North Island. The Psychiatric Department provides specialist clinical mental health and addiction services to the regional population. These services are designed to cater for people with significant mental illness and/or addiction that is beyond the scope of the primary care services.
The Inpatient Psychiatrist works under the umbrella of the Clinical Head, Acute Services and the Service Manager, of the Adult Mental Health Services, and primarily provides psychiatric assessment and management of patients presenting to Inpatient and Sub-acute Units.
- Provide competent, timely and thorough psychiatric assessment of persons presenting or referred for assessment
- Provide competent and effective psychiatric treatment to clients in accordance with the Mental Health Act 1992
- Meet current standards of professional practice recommended by the Medical Council of New Zealand the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP)
- Enrol in, and meet the professional development criteria of RANZCP
- Contribute to service quality assurance by participating in clinical audits, case reviews and incident review processes
- Supervise a psychiatric registrar in training according to the supervision guidelines laid down by the RANZCP.
- Provide teaching to other staff in the course of clinical work and at formal teaching sessions.
- Include the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi within all aspects of the role and its outcomes
- Observe and promote safe work practices, rules and instructions relating to work, and be pro-active in hazard management
- Qualifications: Fellowship of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) - FRANZCP or equivalent qualification
- License: Vocational Registration or Eligibility for Vocational Registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Language: fluent English (IELTS Academic Module 7.5 average for non native speakers)
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
For country and location information, review our global mobility page and select country.
For general information, please review our blog and news page.