Role: Consultant Psychiatrist in Adult General Psychiatry
Scope of practice: General Adult Psychiatry, Rural and Remote Psychiatry, Aboriginal Mental Health, telemedicine
Contract: full time until 30th June 2023 with possible extension
In this role you will be responsible for providing clinical care to consumers, families and carers in the Kimberley region as well as leadership, advice, consultation, liaison and support to health care professionals, other providers and agencies.
The position entails
- rural, remote and very remote practice
- a strong focus on Aboriginal health and wellbeing
- use of telehealth and travelling to visit consumers in their communities.
- Provides psychiatric care and general treatment in both inpatient and outpatient facilities
- Provides supervision for community care including community treatment orders.
- Acts for the Clinical Director in his/her absence, as required.
- Participates in an on-call roster.
- Supervises trainee psychiatrists and medical officers and participates in the teaching of other health professionals.
- Travels within the region as required.
- Liaises and confers regularly with general practitioners, other health care professionals and agencies on clinical matters and treatment programs.
- Attends to statutory requirements under the Mental Health Act 2014 concerning the assessment, admission, detention and discharge of patients.
- Eligible for registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Medical Board of Australia AHPRA)
- Fellowship with The Australian and New Zealand College Psychiatrists (RANZCP) or RANZCP recognised equivalent specialist qualifications/recognition
- Significant clinical experience managing high acuity patients in an acute mental health setting
- Ability to understand service strategic and operational requirements, and implement sustainable change to improve patient safety and reduce access blocks or delays in access to care.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand service strategic and operational requirements, and implement sustainable change to improve patient safety and reduce access blocks or delays in access to care.
- Highly developed effective communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to represent the organisation externally.
Salary: $483,021 - $574,165 p.a.* (inclusive of base salary, 9.5% superannuation and professional development allowance)
In addition to the great salary employees enjoy an amazing range of benefits which may include (in line with operational requirements):
- Access to generous salary packaging arrangements.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Flexible leave arrangements.
- Professional Development Opportunities and Study leave/assistance.
- Other professional and location based allowances
The Kimberley is Western Australia's most northern region, with the Broome coastline closer to South-East Asia than it is to Perth. Bordered by the Pilbara region to the south and Northern Territory to the east, the 424,517 square kilometres region has fewer people per square kilometre than almost any other place on Earth.
Kununurra is a relatively new town and was only established in 1961 as a service centre for the Ord River Irrigation scheme after the success of the first stage and lots of investment.
Kununurra is a local aboriginal word meaning ‘meeting of big waters’. Kununurra initially sustained a population of 400 people, today the town supports a population of 7500 – this can swell to double during the dry season when the tourists are in town! This number is also set to increase significantly as the area becomes more and more important with further investment into the Ord River Irrigation Area. Characterised by its distinct wet and dry seasons, the Kimberley experiences a sub-tropical climate. May to October is the dry season, and November to April is the wet season. With a balmy climate, breathtaking scenery, unique flora and fauna and a great variety of adventure and cultural experiences, the Kimberley offers a fantastic lifestyle which is family based and supportive.
If you are interested in this role, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.