An experienced Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist is sought to join a team of 13 psychiatrists, nursing and allied health staff primarily caring for people in a community setting. The role is full time and permanent in a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) which attends to patients up to 18 years of age. The team relies on a variety of professions and skills, utilizing CBT, dynamic therapies, family interventions, Mindfulness and DBT groups, as well as a range of local primary services working in unison for the best interest of the community.
The Mental Health and Addictions service (MHAS) hosts medical students from the University of Auckland. You will enjoy the benefits of teaching and supervising years 5 and 6, while having access to the University’s up to date resources.
The MHAS provides a wide range of specialist services within the Taranaki region that include:
- A 23 bed inpatient unit (4 beds - IPC), an Assessment and a Brief Intervention service working in the community. High and complex needs and community supported rehabilitation service beds are accessed via Tui ora a Kaupapa Maori service.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
- Mental Health Services for Older people
- Alcohol and Drug Services
As part of the MHAS service you will be expected to:
- Provide consultant services to people requiring specialist care.
- Interact daily with other departments.
- Mentor junior medical staff attached to the service.
- Have the ability to work in a range of settings i.e. inpatient, outpatient and community settings inclusive of crisis work.
- Cover for colleagues in their absence.
- Participate in an on call 1:10 roster.
- Work well in multidisciplinary teams to provide person centred care.
- Strive to improve the way services are developed and delivered.
- Have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide variety of people from various backgrounds.
- Engage with other providers, consumers, and health organisations to improve the quality and responsiveness of services.
- Focus on achieving results and developing and maintaining good working relationships in the workplace..
The region’s amazing mountain, rivers, lakes, fantastic coastline and outstanding surfing and tramping opportunities, masses of parks and gardens, as well as a major events calendar, make it a great place to live and work.
To be considered for this role you must have the following credentials:
- FRANZpsych or equivalent
- Eligibility for Vocational Registration in Psychiatry with the Medical Council of New Zealand