Our client in New Zealand is seeking to recruit a full time Psychiatrist specialising in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry for a permanent position commencing from January 2020.
- Full time, permanent role
- Public Sector Secondary care hospital providing some tertiary services
- Teaching Hospital affiliated with 2 medical schools
- University city in the north island of New Zealand
- Excellent CME facilities
- Full support from junior medical staff
- Clinical and educational duties
- Requirement for FRANZCPsych or equivalent specialist qualification and eligibility for vocational registration in Psychiatry with the Medical Council of New Zealand
You will join an established team of psychiatrists, a consultant behavioural paediatrician, registrars and nursing and allied health colleagues.
The service has embarked on a significant redevelopment programme in the past several years and in May 2018 a new leadership structure was introduced to lead further development of an integrated range of well-connected services along with our NGO partners in our community.
The hospital provides comprehensive community-based mental health services including:
- Extended hours crisis intervention service
- Community-based mental health care
- Adult Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care) Day activity/rehabilitation programmes
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Outreach clinics
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Old Age Psychiatry services
- Alcohol and drug services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
- Early intervention services
- Intensive community rehabilitation services.
The role combines clinical duties providing psychaitric services to in patients and outpatients, consultation with colleagues and education and training of resident medical staff.
This position is based at a 350 bed hospital in the Lower North Island of New Zealand. It is a secondary hospital and offers most medical and surgical specialities with the exception of Cardiothoracic, Plastic and Neurosurgery. It provides some tertiary care services. The hospital serves a local population of 170,000 but is the base for a regional head and neck oncology service which has responsibility for a population of 550,000 and draws patients from Whanganui, Taranaki, and Hawkes' Bay.
The collegial relationships between departments are strong and consultation with other specialists is easy, either formally with multidisciplinary meetings or informally as required. There is an active postgraduate medical society and there are excellent clinical library facilities.
The hospital is embarking upon a transformational change programme to firmly establish itself as a high performing health system that meets the current and future demands of its communities, that provides improved patient experiences for service users, and that achieves improved patient and community health and wellbeing.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels. There are excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex. Cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
The hospital is situated in a major university city and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two hour journey by road, as are the local wine growing regions.
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
For country and location information, review our global mobility page and select country.
For general information, please review our blog and news page.