25 days ago
A specialist plastic surgeon with experience managing skin cancers is sought for a small plastic surgery team in the Bay of Plenty New Zealand. The team is based in a 250 bed secondary level hospital covering a population of 230,000 and the work week includes some sessions at another regional hospital in the Eastern Bay of Plenty region, 90 minutes’ drive from the base hospital.
The services are growing due to increasing population demand and are going through an exciting phase of innovation and expansion. You must, therefore, be interested in service innovation, design and quality, as well as clinical and educational work. The demography is 25% Maori and high rates of pathology are prevalent.
Employer - Hospital
The main hospital is a level 5 hospital with acute services including general medicine and medical sub-specialties, Cardiology, Intensive Care, Paediatrics, O&G, Mental Health, Orthopaedics, General and Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT and Ophthalmology. Waikato Hospital is the adult tertiary referral service, Starship for Paediatric tertiary services. It has a clinical school affiliated with the University of Auckland and is accredited for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
Skill and Qualifications
Applicants must hold or be eligible for vocational registration with the New Zealand Medical Council and hold FRACS or equivalent qualifications.
Clinical Skills: assessment, diagnosis, management plans and surgical procedres for the management of patients referred to the plastic surgery service.
As well as excellent clinical skills, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in these key areas:
- Innovation of services and an enthusiasm for creative problem solving. You will be responsible for the integration of primary and secondary care services.
- Dedication to the provision of service quality
- Team working to effectively achieve defined goals.
- Understanding of cultural diversity and sensitive cultural issues
- Ability to provide integrated care within several disciplines
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Commitment to education and inspiration of junior medical staff, medical students and other health professionals studying at the University of Auckland and the Bay of Plenty Clinical School.
- Interest in clinical research
Tauranga is a vibrant city and the surroundings are spectacular with beautiful beaches and countryside in close proximity. The Coromandel, East Cape and Auckland are all an easy drive away, as are the ski fields of the Central Plateau and Lake Taupō. There is outstanding access to outdoor recreational opportunities and a wide-range of schooling options, both public and private, an Institute of Technology and a recent addition is the University of Waikato Campus. Lifestyle options are diverse, and you can live 20 minutes from the hospital on a lifestyle block, in the bush, on an estuary with a boat or kayak or at the beachside town of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV or contact us for further information.