If you are interested in one of these demanding but rewarding positions and feel that you have the skills required to work in this challenging environment, please apply.
A compact public sector 50 bed hospital with 24/7 emergency department, family medicine department and secondary care services which include general surgery, orthopaedics, internal medicine, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, anaesthesiology, intensive care, ophthalmology, pathology and radiology (including CT scan, mammography and ultrasound).
The hospital serves a rural population but is well equipped and the region has excellent modern infrastructure. There is strong emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention and close support from the regional tertiary care hospital.
There is an excellent and accredited CME program and an allowance for CME activities.
- You will join a team of physicians providing medical services to a rural population covering a large area on an outpatient and in-patient basis.
- You will be review patients referred to the outpatient clinics, provide consultation and advice to general practitioners and other specialists
- Conduct regular ward rounds.
- Occasional travel may be required for the remote rescue of patients by air.
- You must be able to obtain provisional or full licence to practise as a paediatrician from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and will need to have completed your postgraduate training in UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore or South Africa,.
- For UK trained physicians CCT is required. CESR holders may be able to take the FRCPC exam and gain eligibility for licence this way.
- MCCQE1 is required
- IELTS Academic or OET required for those without English language exemption
- Fee-For-Service or on a salary scale.
- Salary scales are determined by the Provincial Department of Health and Community Services and start with Step 1 at $215,749 and increase to Step 5 at $258,316.
- A yearly retention bonus is also available, starting at $12,000 after the first year and increasing to $36,000 after the third year.
- Additional remuneration is also available for salaried physicians for coverage of call in excess of 1 in 3.
- The region of Newfoundland is situated in Atlantic Canada, about 3 hours flight north of New York. It offers an abundance of outdoor activities, spectacular scenery and wildlife and a very safe family environment with some of the cleanest air and water on the planet.
- A great location for winter sports and nature enthusiasts, there are hiking and community events, hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling , bike paths, a swimming pool, a hockey rink, a new craft brewery (RagnaRöck Northern Brewing Co), new coffee shop, and delicious restaurants open mainly in the summer.
- Educational facilities are excellent with top universities available close by including MU Newfoundland, PEI, Dalhousie, Nova Scotia, MIT and Harvard in Boston.