30 days ago
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Consultant Paediatrician in the gold rush town of Western Australia, Kalgoorlie. Offering a secure 5 year contract, excellent salaried remuneration with pension benefits, the role provides a unique opportunity for career development with a challenging and interesting workload, teaching responsibilities and managerial and administrative expertise.
The role is based in a health campus which is a recently revitalised 106-bed general inpatient facility and the second largest regional public hospital in WA. It services more than 50,000 residents of the city as well as outlying towns, and rural and remote communities in the region. It houses an emergency department and provides a range of services including an oncology unit, obstetric services, maintenance renal dialysis unit, paediatric services, psychiatric unit, palliative care unit (which includes accommodation units for cancer patients) and areas for allied health services such as physiotherapy, occupational health, audiology, dietetics, podiatry and social work.
- Provide a high standard of medical care to general paediatric and neonatal patients
- Provide administrative leadership in combination with the clinical nurse specialist of Paediatrics
- Assume responsibility for policy development and review
- Provide training, supervision and education for registrars and resident medical officers.
What you need:
- Eligibility for registration with the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA),
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Paediatrics and Child Health Division) or equivalent.
- Demonstrated contemporary knowledge of professional issues and trends in Paediatric medicine with an understanding of remote area health service provision.
- Experienced in General Paediatric medicine, Neonatal resuscitation and neonatology at a senior level
- Commitment to clinical governance within healthcare.
- Highly developed communication, interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Significant experience in rural and remote Paediatric medicine and demonstrated understanding of issues within a cross cultural environment, particularly Aboriginal culture is desirable
Salary: $354,487-451,677 pa (inclusive of base salary, 9.5% superannuation and professional development allowance)
In addition to the great salary employees enjoy an amazing range of benefits which may include (in line with operational requirements):
- Access to generous salary packaging arrangements.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Flexible leave arrangements.
- Professional Development Opportunities and Study leave/assistance.
- Other professional and location based allowances
The biggest city in the Australian outback, Kalgoorlie is a vibrant mix of gold rush history, grand colonial buildings and immense mining operations, surrounded by some of the most dazzling spring wildflowers and eerie gold-rush ghost towns. You can get there by air, road, rail Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. Flights and TransWA trains depart daily or the Great Eastern Highway is a 600 kilometre (seven-hour) road trip from city to outback.
'Kal', as the locals call it, was born during the 1880s gold rush, when thousands of starry-eyed prospectors made the journey east of Perth to seek their fortunes. Today, their legacy lives on in magnificent architecture and one of the world's largest open cut mines the Super Pit. At 3.5 kilometres long and 1.5 kilometres wide, the pit produces 900,000 ounces of gold each year and makes a mind-blowing experience for those who join the guided tour.
There are riches in Kalgoorlie's centre too, particularly on Hannan Street (named after Irishman Paddy Hannan who struck gold in 1893) where you'll find a buzz of lively bars, nightclubs, cafes and restaurants. Goldfields culture includes the Kalgoorlie-Boulder WA Museum, the Royal Flying Doctor's Visitor Centre and the art galleries featuring the works of Aboriginal and Goldfields artists.
Venturing north to the vast salt pan of Lake Ballard, is the largest outdoor art gallery on Earth, the Inside Australia exhibit by world-renowned artist Antony Gormley.
Golfers would be impressed by the multi-million dollar international golf course that's rapidly becoming one of the world's top desert courses. It marks the beginning of the Nullarbor Links, the longest golf course on Earth.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.