An experienced Microbiology Medical Scientist is required for a full time role in a general hospital Microbiology Laboratory which receives specimens from two hospitals and provides support to two additional laboratories spread across a region at the north west tip of New Zealand. The region offers a fabulous outdoor lifestyle with a warm climate all year round.
The hospital has 350 beds and offers a full range of medical and surgical services to adults and children of all ages and demographics including a 24 hour emergency department and radiological and pathology support. The catchment area covers over 12600 kilometres spreading over the north west tip of the North Island of New Zealand and is populated by almost 200,000 people with a high Maori demographic, which has specific health problems. The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small provincial hospitals offering basic medical services and in turn, is supported by tertiary hospitals in Auckland. It is a public sector hospital providing scondary level care.
The Microbiology laboratory testing includes general Microbiology, Mycology, Parasitology, and Molecular testing, and operates 24/7.
This role would suit a Medical Laboratory Scientist with a keen interest and experience in medical Microbiology. The successful applicant will be expected to assist and participate in rostered duties and shifts to meet the operational needs of the department.
- Experience in processing of Microbiology specimens including plate reading and interpretation.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member to produce effective work output and quality.
- Positive, adaptable, flexible, and motivated.
- Confidence with computer based LIS systems, with Delphic Micro experience.
- Experience in teaching and report validation.
- Ability to perform other technical and operational duties normally expected of a Microbiology laboratory scientist.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages.