Role: Medical Laboratory Scientist – Anatomical Pathology
Contract: Fulltime, permanent
This is a new role based in the Anatomic Pathology of a regional general hospital which is experiencing rapid growth, experiencing an average of 15% workload increase year on year with a yearly block load in histology of 60,000.
The laboratory provides a Histology and non-gynae cytology service for the region receiving specimens from both the community and four regional laboratories; servicing a population of 150,000. There is a state-of-the-art mortuary and medical and coronial post-mortems for the region are performed.
The Medical laboratory Scientist/technician role will be responsible working within the main laboratory ensuring a high throughput high quality system with an eye for excellence is maintained. The Scientist/technician will be expected to assist and participate in rostered duties to meet the operational needs of the department.
To be eligible for this role you must:
- Demonstrated ability to apply high-level scientific judgement to perform, interpret various sample types.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member to produce effective work output and quality.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective professional relationships with clinicians and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with the performance and operation of one or more working areas.
- The ideal candidate will also have knowledge in computer systems such as Cerebro and Delphic, who can take charge of the IT aspect of the department. Training is provided.
- Experience in simple dissection and Immunohistochemistry is desired.
The hospital has 250 beds and offers a full range of medical and surgical services to adults and children of all ages and demographics including a 24 hour emergency department and radiological and pathology support.
The catchment area covers over 12600 kilometres spreading over the north west tip of the North Island of New Zealand and is populated by almost 200,000 people with a high Maori demographic, which has specific health problems. The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small provincial hospitals offering basic medical services and in turn, is supported by tertiary hospitals in Auckland.
- New Zealand eligible for registration as a Medical Laboratory Scientist
Broad experience in general medical laboratory an advantage • Haematology • Biochemistry • Blood Transfusion
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please forward your CV for immediate consideration.