We have an exciting opportunity for a General Medicine Physician to fill a fixed-term role based for 6 months in duration.
Based in a regional general hospital with 250 beds servicing 200,000 patients the Medicine and Elderly Care Department provides out patient consultations and in patient services with tertiary support from nearby Auckland. It is accredited by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) as a training centre for junior physicians preparing for the FRACP exams in Internal Medicine and has strong links to the University of Auckland.
The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small hospitals spread throughout the largely rural region which has a high percentage Maori population and one of the fastest growing demographics in New Zealand. It has a 24/7 emergency department, medical, surgical, paediatric, obstetric and gynaecology and psychiatry services supported by radiology, anaesthesia and pathology services.
The region possesses some of the most scenic and exciting coastal areas of NZ in a subtropical climate; popular water recreation areas include Bay of Islands and Poor Knight Islands Reserves.
- Participate in on call roster, attending urgent admissions
- Be available for telephone consultation from GPs, other hospitals, junior medical staff and other services, during both normal hours of work and while on call
- Perform regular ward rounds when on call (daily on weekends and public holidays)
- Discuss patients with multi-disciplinary team and refer patients to tertiary services as appropriate
- Perform regular routine ward rounds with junior medical staff and the multi-disciplinary team of the ward reviewing the progress, management and discharge plans of inpatients admitted under your care
- Be available to discuss and/or see patients as required at other times
- Attend to referrals from other wards/services as necessary
- Participate in multi-disciplinary ward team meetings to establish goals, review progress, management and develop discharge plans
- Ensure handover of information regarding patients of concern to on-call medical team
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to junior doctors as appropriate to their level of skill and supervise their work
- Perform regular outpatient clinics at hospital sites
Requirements for Eligibility
- eligible for specialist registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in an Internal Medicine vocational scope of practice.
- OR eligible for locum tenens registration
- FRACP or equivalent specialist qualification
- salary NZ $190,000 - 270,000 pa
- pension contributions
- reimbursement of medical practice costs
- on-going professional support including continued medical education, professional development and peer review
- active participation in a growing service with opportunities to expand your skills in response to the challenges within the region
- a balanced lifestyle supported by glorious scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. House pricing is realistic; road congestion minimal, car parking is always available
- an onsite gym and swimming pool.
- a competitive relocation package to support you and your family to make the move
- employer is an Approved Accredited Employer by New Zealand Immigration.
If this role is of interest to you, please forward your CV for immediate consideration. Three professional references will be required.