An experienced microbiologist with sound clinical, leadership and management skills is sought to lead the microbiology team in a pathology laboratory in Whangerei, a city just 2 hours drive from Auckland in one of the warmest and sunniest areas of New Zealand. You will have a key role in the strategic development of this service.
You will report to the Pathology Service Manager and your key duties will be:
- expert leadership of the Microbiology team and delivery of organisational KPIs, financial budgets and service plans
- expert technical services within the Microbiology laboratory with the highest quality standards, meeting or exceeding Accreditation or Professional Standards.
- Prioritising and ensuring a focus on patient safety and quality relating to care and processes within the Laboratory Service.
- management of laboratory personnel in accordance with the established organisational policies.
- operationally and strategically support the ongoing development of the Laboratory Service.
- active involvement with project management
- lead selected service improvement activities as delegated by the respective clinical and management leaders.
- registration with the Medical Laboratory Sciences Council of New Zealand as a Medical Laboratory Scientist and a current practicing certificate
- demonstrated achievements in project management and leadership.
The hospital has 350 beds and offers a full range of medical and surgical services to adults and children of all ages and demographics including a 24 hour emergency department and radiological and pathology support. The catchment area covers over 12600 kilometres spreading over the north west tip of the North Island of New Zealand and is populated by almost 200,000 people with a high Maori demographic, which has specific health problems. The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small provincial hospitals offering basic medical services and in turn, is supported by tertiary hospitals in Auckland.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV or contact us for further information.