Based in a 250 bed secondary care hopsital in the north island of New Zealand, this position is for a Consultant Geriatrician who is part of a team of five specialist physicians for older people which works alongside growing services for acute stroke and old age psychiatry. This combined service provides for the rapidly growing older population of the region which includes over 30,000 people aged 65 years or over.
The service for senior citizens has a 24-bed Assessment and Rehabilitation ward at the general hospital which includes a 6-8 bed Acute Stroke Unit. There are associated community rehabilitation teams, a region-wide needs assessment service and gerontology nurse specialist programmes. There are visiting outpatient clinics on five sites across the region and residential care and home visiting services.
This is a new role to assist with increased early intervention for frail older people.
- FRACPor equivalent qualification
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Fluent English communication (IELTS Academic module, mean score 7.5 for non native speakers)
- Excellent acute medical skills
- Communication and relationship building skills