NZ$ 200-300 K pa + benefits
22 days ago
A Consultant Geriatrician or Internist (General Physician) with an interest in Geriatric Medicine is sought for a role as Consultant in an university town in New Zealand. The position, which is full time and permanent , is based in a district general hospital, a 350 bed secondary care hospital, which services an urban population of 75,000 and a total population catchment of 160,000, increasing to 500,000 for the delivery of some tertiary services. In addition, the hospital is a teaching hospital, and is associated with both Auckland and Otago medical schools. The hospital has one of New Zealand's largest trauma centres and provides high intensity care with dedicated ICU, Coronary Care Unit and Neonatal Unit.
The role includes the management of inpatients, out patients, acute medical care and supporting duties (administration, audit, teaching, quality review, peer review, CME, clinical meetings) with 50% of the 40 hour week devoted to inpatients.
- A multi-disciplinary Health of Older People team has been established to support an Integrated Family Health Centre to proactively manage older people with frailty, with a plan to roll out this model across the district
- An Interface Geriatrics service has been established to enable ‘front door’ geriatric assessment in the Emergency Department and Medical Admissions and Planning Unit
- An Early Supported Discharge Team is currently being piloted
- An acute care unit for older people with frailty is planned
To be considered for this role you must have the credentials listed below:
- eligible for vocational registration in Internal Medicine with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FRACP or equivalent
- Fluent English communication
- excellent communication and team working skills