23 days ago
Are you a Geriatrician looking for a permanent position in a delightful city of New Zealand close to Wellington the capital, boasting excellent educational and leisure opportunities and a modest living cost? You can also combine your scope of practise to include internal medicine.
- Full time, permanent role
- Public Sector Secondary care hospital providing some tertiary services
- Teaching Hospital affiliated with 2 medical schools
- University city in the north island of New Zealand
- Excellent CME facilities
- Full support from junior medical staff
- Clinical and educational duties
- Requirement for FRACP or equivalent specialist qualification and eligibility for vocational registration in Internal Medicine / Geriatrics with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Role may be combined with Internal Medicine
This position is based at a 350-bed hospital in the lower part of the North Island of New Zealand serving a population of 170,000. It is affiliated with two medical schools and actively participates in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education including training for the FRACS for which it holds active accreditation, and a superb CME programme, an active postgraduate medical society and excellent clinical library facilities .
You can expect to have access to a thorough continuing medical education programme and opportunities to participate in research projects, pursue subspecialist fields of interest and become involved with medical student and junior medical officer postgraduate education.
The hospital is a secondary care facility providing most medical and surgical services, except for Cardiothoracic Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Neurosurgery. But is the regional base for head and neck oncology service which has responsibility for a population of 550,000.
The collegial relationships between departments are strong and consultation with other specialists is easy, either formally with multidisciplinary meetings or informally as required.
The hospital undertook a transformational change programme to firmly establish itself as a high performing health system that meets the current and future demands of its communities, with a strong focus on patient experience and improved clinical outcomes.
The geriatic services have just been restructured and include the following divisions
- A multi-disciplinary Health of Older People team has been established to support an Integrated Family Health Centre to proactively manage older people with frailty, with a plan to roll out this model across the district
- An Interface Geriatrics service has been established to enable ‘front door’ geriatric assessment in the Emergency Department and Medical Admissions and Planning Unit
- An Early Supported Discharge Team is currently being piloted
- An acute care unit for older people with frailty is planned to open later this year – OPAL Unit Older People’s Acute Assessment & Liaison Unit
Your role will be working within these service frameworks to provide care to acutely ill elderly patients and manage them throughout including community settings. You will also be able to practise Internal Medicine and can enjoy excellent access to radiological services for investigation and other medical specialities including emergency medicine for consultation.
You will also be expected to teach and supervise junior and senior medical trainees including those preparing for FRACP.
- FRACP or equivalent specialist qualification
- Felowship or subspeciality training in Geriatrics
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
The hospital is situated in a major university city and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two-hour journey by road, as are the local wine growing regions.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels.
There is excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex.
The cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
New Zealand's Ruahine and Tararua forest parks, Himitangi and Foxton beaches close by and be centrally located with Wellington City, the alpine Mount Ruapehu and internationally recognized wine regions of Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa all within 2 hours of the city.
Why should you apply for this role?
This role is great for a geriatrician who wants to join a dynamic and expanding team of physicians working in a well-equipped modern facility with an interesting but reasonable case load and lots of time for study, research and education.
The surrounding area offers a wonderful lifestyle, proximity to the capital city and modest living costs whilst being surrounded by excellent educational facilities and cultural attractions.
If you are interested in this role, please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages.
If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts or get in touch to discuss.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: NEW ZEALAND HEALTHCARE SYSTEM