Role: Consultant General Surgeon
Scope of Practice: General Surgery, Endoscopy
Contract: Permanent full time
An exciting opportunity for a Consultant General Surgeon to join a team of eight General Surgeons each with a subspecialist interest. You should have an Endoscopy interest. The successful candidate will take part in a 1:8 on call roster with registrar and house officer support.
The general surgery team provides core surgical services from a regional general secondary care hospital, along with outpatient services at three regional hospitals located in Kaitaia, Kawakawa, and Dargaville. Some operating sessions are also provided at Kaitaia hospital on a rotational basis, and occasionally at Kensington Hospital.
The General Surgeons are multi-skilled, and the development of a special interest is supported. Ongoing education is encouraged. Multi-disciplinary meetings are held weekly with all specialities being involved which allows for a close collegial working environment. The department has a strong track record with audit and advanced trainee registrar teaching, supervision of house surgeons and medical student teaching.
- To be considered, you must have or be eligible for specialist registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in the vocational scope of general surgery
- FRACS or equivalent specialist qualification
- Endoscopy training and experience
The hospital offers
- on-going professional support with a commitment to continued medical education;
- professional development/ peer review
- participation in a growing service that has the opportunity to be at the forefront of both primary and secondary care innovations.
- provide a competitive relocation package to support you and your family to make the move to Whangārei (the employer is is also an Approved Accredited Employer by the New Zealand Immigration Service and can assist you to obtain an appropriate work visa).
As a region Northland is renowned for its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle. There are great surf beaches and beautiful harbours and bays for sailing, kite surfing and windsurfing. It is also a top spot for fishing and diving with easy access to the world famous Poor Knights Marine reserve. There are also many beautiful forests and stunning hills to explore and climb.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV for immediate consideration.