An exciting opportunity exists for a skilled and enthusiastic Consultant General Surgeon to join the clinical team in a regional hospital in coastal Western Australia in a role which offers a vast range of varied experience, and requires initiative, resilience and a sense of adventure. Some travel will be part of this role.
- Public sector regional hospital in Western Australia with excellent modern facilities and accredited for teaching medical students and junior doctors
- Clinical duties are combined with an active teaching role
- Full time role with a contract up to 5 years duration
- Laparoscopic skills and ability to perform Gastro-intestinal endoscopy, gastroscopy and colonoscopy required
- Experienced in the management of surgical trauma
- Specialist registration in General Surgery with Australian Medical Board (AHPRA) required
- FRACS or equivalent essential
- Excellent working conditions
- Competitive salary package
You will be a vital member of the surgical team, which includes a second Consultant Surgeon, a Service Registrar, Resident Medical Officer and Intern providing surgical services to patients including the provision of a visiting surgical service. Services include surgical consultations, operating, post-operative care and participation in multidisciplinary care of patients. You will be required to spend nights away from home on a regular basis. A shared-on call commitment is expected of the successful applicant, along with short periods of outreach within the region, on a regular basis.
You must have demonstrated Laparoscopic skills and be competent in the following procedures: Gastrointestinal endoscopy, colonoscopy and gastroscopy. You should also be experienced in surgical management of trauma and have highly developed communication, interpersonal, teamwork, negotiation and conflict resolution skills and a demonstrated commitment to teaching and research.
Experience in basic Orthopaedics is desirable and you should have an understanding of Aboriginal Health issues.
This is a teaching and supervision position of junior medical staff and highly valued by the Postgraduate Medical Council of WA for the case mix exposure and experience gained by Doctors in Training in their surgical term.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- eligible for registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Medical Board of Australia AHPRA),
hold Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) or equivalent.
Salary: $354,487-451,677 pa (inclusive of base salary, 9.5% superannuation and professional development allowance)
In addition to the great salary employees enjoy an amazing range of benefits which may include (in line with operational requirements):
- Access to generous salary packaging arrangements.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Flexible leave arrangements.
- Professional Development Opportunities and Study leave/assistance.
- Other professional and location based allowances
The hospital is a 60 bed inpatient facility and the largest hospital in the region with a highly varied case mix and 25,000 presentations to the Emergency Department per year.
Facilities include operating theatres, consulting rooms for visiting specialists, a public dental surgery, refurbished maternity unit and an expanded emergency department which has
more than doubled in size to 15 acute bays.
The hospital is in the State's most northern region in a town situated on the Indian Ocean and renowned as a tropical tourist destination famed for its beach lifestyle. The coastline faces the Indian Ocean to the west, the region encompasses an area of around 420,000 square kilometres (one sixth of the State's total landmass) and is bordered by the Great Sandy Desert in the south and the Northern Territory in the east. It has excellent schooling and housing.
The region includes arid desert areas, gorges, sandy beaches, escarpments, rainforests,waterfalls, vast open plains, river valleys and cave systems.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.
For country and location information, review our global mobility page and select country.
For general information, please review our blog and news page.