Job Title: Paediatrician Consultant
Location: New Plymouth New Zealand
Start Date: ASAP
Contract: Part time, permanent: Working hours: 24 standard hours per week as agreed with the HOD, and an average of 3.25 on all hours per week. The department has a consultant of the week service model approximately 1:8 Non clinical time will be up to 30% of standard hours
A Consultant General Paediatrician with specialist qualifications to join a Child Health team on a part time basis in a general hospital with patient care responsibilities in general paediatrics, neonates, outpatients, and teaching of junior medical staff and medical students.
- Be part of a team of 10 Consultants with 4 Registrars and 4 House Officers.
- Have responsibility for in-patient care and outpatient clinics.
- Work in a friendly environment with a collegial and supportive team.
- Have an interest in teaching and supervising junior medical staff.
4500 Patients attend out patient clinics annually.
18 bed Inpatient paediatric service
8 cot level 2 neonatal unit
- Provide efficient and effective assessment and management of the department’s patients following accepted professional guidelines.
- Work with other Team members to mutually agreed work schedules and waiting list management processes, in consultation with the Head of Department / Clinical Director.
- Provide clinical input in a timely way that facilitates efficient patient flows and meets treatment objectives.
- Carry out investigative and treatment procedures within the Organisation where possible.
- See and advise on inpatients referred by hospital specialist colleagues for assessment, within a timeframe appropriate to the clinical circumstances.
- Be responsible for the referral of any patients under their care to other centres for specialist treatment when appropriate.
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate records for all patients seen.
- Provide verbal advice to GP’s and other clinicians who telephone for assistance where appropriate
- Ensure that discharge summaries are completed by the team, ideally at time of discharge but otherwise within 24hrs of discharge.
- Provide paediatrician medical leadership to the wider Child Health team. On call While rostered on call, the Consultant will
- Be available to consult with the Registrar/House Surgeon by telephone, or be called back to assist the Registrar/House Surgeon or other members of Team.
- Be required to work with Independent Practitioners, such as Midwives and General Practitioners.
- The Consultant will be available to assess referrals from the Emergency Department where appropriate.
- Outpatient clinics will be conducted as mutually agreed in consultation with the Head of Department / Service Director.
- The Consultant will adhere to the agreed waiting time criteria for booking of cases.
- The standards for patient waiting time in clinics will be adhered to.
- Prioritisation will be carried out according to departmental policies, developed under the leadership of the HOD.
- Guidelines for the management of patients in clinics will be adhered to.
In this region of New Zealand, situated in the south west of the North Island, it is easy to achieve an enviable lifestyle without having to compromise your career path. The region’s amazing mountain, rivers, lakes, fantastic coastline and outstanding surfing and tramping opportunities, masses of parks and gardens, as well as a major events calendar, make it a great place to live and work.
Major attractions include Taraanki Mountain, Egmont National Park and the New Plymouth Coastal Walkway with Auckland just 50 minutes flight away and Wellington 60 minutes.
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand or be able to show you are on the path to getting this (we can assist you with this)
- FRACP or equivalent Postgraduate qualification in paediatrics
- General paediatric on call experience
- Endocrine and diabetes experience
If you are interested in this position, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
Register for job alerts and follow us on twitter for new positions @odysseymedic