Start Date: ASAP
Contract Duration: Permanent
A specialist gastroenterologist working in a progressive department of a 250 bed regional general hospital which has developed and expanded endoscopy facilities to a dedicated suite with facilities to perform procedures in the hospital and at other regional hospitals. You will help to develop a sustainable model for the management of bowel disease across the region and will have an active role in medical student and junior doctor training.
Currently the role does not involve internal medicine or on call but could be a consideration if you wish.
The hospital has 24/7 emergency department and supports 3 small regional hospitals, providing secondary care services for a population of approximately 170,000. Auckland is the closest tertiary care centre.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights. There are great surf beaches and beautiful harbours and bays for sailing, kite surfing and windsurfing. It is also a top spot for fishing and diving with easy access to the world famous Poor Knights Marine reserve. There are also many beautiful forests and stunning hills to explore and climb.
- Perform endoscopy sessions as dictated by need, resource availability and personal skills.
- Liaise regularly with tertiary referral services regarding aspects of patient care and for education purposes.
- Accept outpatient referrals for new and follow-up Gastroenterology patients
- Provide regional visiting service to other peripheral sites, seeing outpatients and inpatient referrals.
- Set and maintain high quality standards of care for inpatient and outpatient care.
- Ensure all documentation and processes are clear
- Be available for telephone consultation from GPs, other hospitals, junior medical staff and other services, during normal hours of work.
- Discuss patients with multi-disciplinary team and refer patients to tertiary services as appropriate
- Perform regular routine ward rounds with junior medical staff and the multi-disciplinary team of the ward reviewing the progress, management and discharge plans of inpatients admitted under your care.
- Be available to discuss and/or see patients as required at other times.
- Attend to referrals from other wards/services as necessary.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary ward team meetings to establish goals, review progress, management and develop discharge plans.
- Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand or eligibility for this ( we can assist with this)
- FRACP or equivalent board certification
- Enthusiasm for teaching and service development
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV for immediate consideration.