Emergency Medicine Specialist Tauranga NZ
Working Hours 35 per week
Join a team of emergency physicians in a 330 bed regional general hospital with a 24.7 Emergency Department servicing a growing population of over 180,000 in a rural community in the Western Bay of Plenty and the urban population of New Zealand’s 5th largest city.
The Emergency Department (ED) sees a diverse case mix with 55,000 presentations per annum of which 25% is paediatric.
The department is accredited for 12 months ACEM advanced training and has a strong focus on education and development of the emergency medicine workforce.
There is an active in-situ simulation programme and established links to the Auckland University regional clinical campus on site.
The ED specialist team has grown rapidly over the past five years and is committed to the pursuit of excellent regional emergency medicine care within New Zealand.
The main hospital is a level 5 hospital with 24/7 emergency department, acute services including general medicine and medical sub-specialties, Cardiology, Intensive Care, Paediatrics, O&G, Mental Health, Orthopaedics, General and Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT and Ophthalmology. Waikato Hospital is the adult tertiary referral service, Starship for Paediatric tertiary services. It has a clinical school affiliated with the University of Auckland and is accredited for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
- Applicants must hold or be eligible for vocational registration with the New Zealand Medical Council
- FACEM or equivalent qualifications.- FRCEM, FRCPC, American Board of Emergency Medicine accepted
As well as excellent clinical skills, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in these key areas:
- Innovation of services and an enthusiasm for creative problem solving.
- Dedication to the provision of service quality
- Team working to effectively achieve defined goals.
- Understanding of cultural diversity and sensitive cultural issues
- Ability to provide integrated care within several disciplines
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Commitment to education and inspiration of junior medical staff, medical students and other health professionals studying at the University of Auckland and the Bay of Plenty Clinical School.
- Interest in clinical research
Tauranga is a vibrant city and the surroundings are spectacular with beautiful beaches and countryside in close proximity. The Coromandel, East Cape and Auckland are all an easy drive away, as are the ski fields of the Central Plateau and Lake Taupō. There is outstanding access to outdoor recreational opportunities and a wide-range of schooling options, both public and private, an Institute of Technology and a recent addition is the University of Waikato Campus. Lifestyle options are diverse, and you can live 20 minutes from the hospital on a lifestyle block, in the bush, on an estuary with a boat or kayak or at the beachside town of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa.
If you are interested in this role, please forward your CV for immediate attention