29 days ago
Applications are invited for the role of Medical Officer in Emergency Medicine in a regional general hospital with busy 24 hour emergency department in the north island of New Zealand. The 246 bed is the major referral hospital for the Northland region of New Zealand, with a direct catchment of 170,000. The emergency department provides emergency services for the entire area from four locations, one major hospital, and three small regional hospitals located throughout the region. Over 140 consultants provide support in a wide range of specialties.
The Department of Emergency Medicine has 40,000 attendances per year of which 25% are paediatric. The department is currently led by 11 Senior Medical Officers and is accredited with ACEM for 12 months Advanced Training and Paediatric Log Book Training and has a successful training program for both Part 1 and Part 2 trainees.
The region boasts some of the most stunning scenic and coastal areas of New Zealand, affordable housing, excellent schools and a vast range of recreational activities.
- Coordinate and provide effective, clinically appropriate and safe assessment and treatment of patients presenting to the Emergency Department.
- Support the delivery of patient and family focused care in accordance with relevant legislation and standards documented by professional bodies
- Communicate clinical details to referral services, community medical and nursing staff to arrange ongoing investigation, treatment or care of patients.
- Assist with maintenance of the District Health Board Emergency Department Disaster Plans.
- Guide and support junior medical staff in the care of ED patients.
- Recognize limitations of practice and approach the ED Consultant on call or other relevant specialist for questions arising regarding patient management.
- eligible for general registration or provisional general registration with the medical council of New Zealand
- previous experience in Emergency Medicine at least 5 years
- IELTS Academic module mean score 7.5 if not native English speaker