The Emergency Department:
- staffed by 14 Emergency Physicians from New Zealand, the UK, the US, Canada, and South Africa, as well as 3 clinical nurse specialists and 2 nurse practitioners, 18 resident medical officers (a mix of registrars and senior house officers)
- accredited for 12 months of Australasian College for Emergency Medicine advanced training.
- has a a highly successful teaching program for both Part I and Part II ACEM examinations.
- Australasian Level 4 regional trauma centre
- sees approximately 48,000 presentations per annum
- sees both blunt and penetrating trauma as well as high acuity paediatric and adult medical patients.
- has a 30+% admission rate.
- has access to all medical and surgical subspecialties with the exception of cardiothoracic surgery and neurosurgery
- offers a high rate of exposure to critical procedures compared to other large departments.
- provides weekly protected registrar-led teaching sessions as well as regular critical incident, clinical radiology, and paediatric teaching.
- provides good support for clinical research.
- provide appropriate assessment, diagnosis and management of patients presenting to the Emergency Service
- provide a high standard of clinical practice and clinical expertise and effective emergency services to the community and region
- provide advice to Operations Lead, Unplanned Care, on emergency management matters and professional standards of practice
- provide supervision and instruction for Resident Medical Officers rostered to the emergency service.
- liaise with other specialist services within the hospital and community as appropriate
- contact and see families or support persons of patients
- attend relevant clinical and educational meetings in the department
- medical degree from WHO accredited school
- eligible for vocational or provisional vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FACEM or equivalent from USA/Canada/ UK/ Ireland
- team focus
- excellent communication skills
- commitment to emergency medicine
- Salary NZ$190,000 - 270,000 pa basic
- Registration expenses paid
- No national insurance
- Excellent CME programme
- Clinical research opportunities
If this role is of interest please forward your CV for immediate consideration.