9 days ago
Are you interested in a short term contract (up to one year) as Emergency Physician in New Zealand?
This role offers a great opportunity to work in one of New Zealand’s best cities in the North Island, surrounded by wonderful landscape, in one of its best emergency medicine departments with a reasonable workload, vacation time and study time.
- Public sector regional hospital, operating from 2 sites
- Full time position with 16-18 shifts per 6 weeks
- Ample time for study, vacation, and leisure
- Wonderful surrounding area for recreation and living
- Fixed term role, up to 12 months
- FACEM or equivalent essential
Split between two hospitals, the emergency medicine department provides 24/7 services in New Plymouth and Hawera, one hour south of the city, seeing 33,000 and 16,000 patients per year respectively. Both departments are supported locally by nearly all medical and surgical specialties and are staffed by 11 FACEMS, Emergency Medicine trained specialists and mid-level providers, junior doctors and medical students working or rotating through them.
The hospital in New Plymouth is accredited by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine to deliver 12 months Registrar training. The training programme has been successful with trainees recently passing their fellowship exam. All Consultants are encouraged to participate in education and assessment of junior medical staff and students in the department.
The roster involves approximately 18 to 20 shifts over a six-week period.
There is provision for ample paid CME and vacation leave to take when you want to take time for fun or learning.
- Provide emergent care for the entire district
- See a full range of patient presentations
- Work closely with other specialists to achieve the best care possible for your patients, and build more than surface level relationships with colleagues
- Be enjoying the enthusiasm and refining your training talents when helping develop junior staff and students in the departments.
You will need:
- Completed residency in emergency medicine and board certification or fellowship equivalent to FACEM. (Acceptable qualifications include FRCEM /CCT, American Board of Emergency Medicine, FRCPC etc)
- Vocational registration or eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
You will receive a salary based upon the national pay scale for senior medical officers in New Zealand and relocation expenses if you need to move
In this region of New Zealand, situated in the south west of the North Island, it is easy to achieve an enviable lifestyle without having to compromise your career path. The region’s amazing mountain, rivers, lakes, fantastic coastline and outstanding surfing and tramping opportunities, masses of parks and gardens, as well as a major events calendar, make it a great place to live and work.
Major attractions include Taraanki Mountain, Egmont National Park and the New Plymouth Coastal Walkway with Auckland just 50 minutes flight away and Wellington 60 minutes.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts.