Role: Specialist Otolaryngologist/ ENT Surgeon with skills in head and neck surgery or rhinology
Contract: Full time, permanent
Location: Whangarei as main base but regional cover in three small hospitals required
You will join the Ear, Nose and Throat Department (ENT) of a regional public hospital, working alongside a friendly and talented team of four Consultants, two Registrars, and a House Officer.
This is a full time, permanent role in a department which is accredited by the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (RACS) for postgraduate surgeon training and has with strong links to the University of Auckland.
The hospital has 260 beds and offers a full range of medical and surgical services to adults and children of all ages and demographics including a 24 hour emergency department and radiological and pathology support.
The catchment area covers over 12600 kilometres spreading over the northwest tip of the North Island of New Zealand and is populated by almost 200,000 people with a high Maori demographic, which has specific health problems.
The hospital acts as a referral centre for three small provincial hospitals offering basic medical services and in turn, is supported by tertiary hospitals in Auckland.
The hospital is accredited for postgraduate medical training in most specialisties by the Royal Colleges of Australia and New Zealand and participates in medical student teaching for the two medical schools in New Zealand, Auckland and Otago.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25-minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
Typical duties include
- Participation in ward rounds, out patient clinics and multidisciplinary meetings to establish patient care plans
- Manage referrals from other specialists and GPs
- Supervise and teach junior physicians
You will need:
- Specialist post-graduate qualification eligible for registration on the Vocational register with the Medical Council of New Zealand. This qualification must be in the general field of Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery (FRACS) (recognisable other specialist qualifications may be acceptable in certain situations).
- Fellowship in head and neck surgery or rhinology
- Current Driver’s License – valid for New Zealand
- Qualify to undergo “Maintenance of Profession Standards” requirements of the RACP
- Excellent teamworking and communication skills are essential to the successful delivery and improvement of the clinical services.
- Salary NZ$ 200-300K
- Professional expenses of annual practice certificate refunded
- Supernnuation benefits
- Relocation packages are offered to international surgeons.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please forward your CV for immediate consideration. Three professional references are required.