A$ 2000 + TRAVEL, ACCOMMODATION, VEHICLE
12 days ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic Senior Medical Officer (SMO) locum for long or fexible periods, for an administrative role leading a team of physicians providing medical care from 2 small hospitals in the striking territory of Western Australia. The hospitals are small, well appointed rural facilities serving a population of over 10,000.
The larger of the two hospitals is a 31-bed facility with Accident and Emergency Department, operating theatres, day surgery, Outpatient department, GP Rooms, general medical/surgical ward, children’s ward and maternity. The hospital provides a 24-hour Ambulance services, staffed by orderlies and emergency department nursing
staff. There is a close collaboration with outside health facilities—the Royal Flying Doctors Services, Aboriginal Health Service and Community Health Services. Visiting specialist services from Broome and Perth include Paediatrics, General Surgery, General Medicine, O & G, Ear, Nose and Throat, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Dermatology, Cardiology, Radiology and Rheumatology.The hospital also provides care for the hundreds of remote communities and pastoral stations.
The second hospital is a smaller 12 bed facility providing full accident and Emergency facilities, an Outpatient Service, Community Health, Home and Community Care, Aged Care, Dental, Alcohol Rehabilitation, Aboriginal Health, Visiting Allied Health, Podiatry, Visiting Specialist Services, Community Drug Service, Ambulance, Outpatients, Pathology and Medical Imaging. A 24 hour on call service is available and nursing staff and orderlies provide an acute ambulanceservice to all communities.
In collaboration with the Operations Manager and the Regional Director of Medical Services, the SMO’s focus is on operational and strategic issues for the hospitals and is responsible for duties, supervision and support for other medical staff working in the two hospitals. This includes co-ordination, rostering and operational management of medical staff, clinical governance, medico-legal matters, continuous quality improvement and patient safety.
- Eligible for registration with the Medical Board of Australia (general registration)
- Considerable and relevant postgraduate medical practice experience which includes one or more of the following fields - Obstetrics, Anaesthetics, Trauma Management, General/Internal Medicine, Paediatrics or Administration.
- Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) / Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) or equivalents is desirable.
- An understanding and interest in remote and Indigenous health is very desirable.
- Motivation to work in a challenging yet very rewarding environment.
- Previous management or medical administration experience at a senior level.