Role: Consultant Psychiatrist
Scope of Practice: Liaison Psychiatry
Contract: Permanent full time or maximum part time
A consultant liaison psychiatrist based in the Mental Health and Addiction Services in a regional general hospital covering a large geographical catchment area with a population of 200,000, in a role primarily providing psychiatric assessment and management to patients admitted to the hospital as well as consultation to other specialist teams.
- To provide a responsive consultation service to the hospital.
- To provide psychiatric assessment and management of patients under the care of other specialist services and to refer to Mental Health and Addiction Services as appropriate.
- To provide assessment and management, to participate in court hearings and to undertake any other activities required to fulfill the role of responsible clinician for patients subject to the Mental Health Act.
- To act as an effective member of multidisciplinary teams in both Mental Health and Addiction Services and other specialist services.
- To provide supervision when required to a registrar and other clinicians and contribute to training opportunities for medical students
The hospital offers
- on-going professional support with a commitment to continued medical education;
- professional development/ peer review
- participation in a growing service that has the opportunity to be at the forefront of both primary and secondary care innovations.
- provide a competitive relocation package to support you and your family to make the move to Whangārei (the employer is is also an Approved Accredited Employer by the New Zealand Immigration Service and can assist you to obtain an appropriate work visa).
As a region Northland is renowned for its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle. There are great surf beaches and beautiful harbours and bays for sailing, kite surfing and windsurfing. It is also a top spot for fishing and diving with easy access to the world famous Poor Knights Marine reserve. There are also many beautiful forests and stunning hills to explore and climb.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
- have or be eligible for specialist registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in a vocational and/ or locum tenens Psychiatry scope of practice, with no restrictions to your APC.
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualification
- Advanced Certificate in Consultation Liaison Psychiatry
- Experience in Old Age Psychiatry
- Experience as a consultation-liaison psychiatrist
- Experience as a supervisor of psychiatric registrars
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV for immediate consideration.