Role : Consultant Psychiatrist
Scope of practice: Adult General Psychiatry and Addictions with 50/50 split and on call for acute adult psychiatry 1 in 10.
Based in a regional general hospital in one of New Zealand’s fastest growing cities, the psychiatry services are expanding and this is a new role split 50/50 between adult general psychiatry and addictions.
The hospital can offer::
- A well-established group of peers for you to join.
- General Adult Inpatient and outpatient services, Psychogeriatrics, Consult Liason, Child and Adolescent, Drug and Alcohol and Maternal Mental Health services.
- A teaching hospital with Psychiatric Registrars Training through the Upper Central North Island (UCNI) training scheme and 5th and 6th year medical students through the University of Auckland.
- Opportunities for research and teaching roles through our clinical campus and close links with Auckland University.
- Opportunities for involvement in service development and clinical leadership.
The main hospital is a level 5 hospital with 24/7 emergency department, acute services including general medicine and medical sub-specialties, Cardiology, Intensive Care, Paediatrics, O&G, Mental Health, Orthopaedics, General and Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT and Ophthalmology. Waikato Hospital is the adult tertiary referral service, Starship for Paediatric tertiary services. It has a clinical school affiliated with the University of Auckland and is accredited for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
Most of your work will be in this hospital with intermittent visits to a smaller hospital 90 minutes drive away for out patient clinics and liaison consultation.
Applicants must hold or be eligible for vocational registration with the New Zealand Medical Council
FRANZCP or equivalent qualifications.
As well as excellent clinical skills, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in these key areas:
- Innovation of services and an enthusiasm for creative problem solving. You will be responsible for the integration of primary and secondary care services.
- Dedication to the provision of service quality
- Team working to effectively achieve defined goals.
- Understanding of cultural diversity and sensitive cultural issues
- Ability to provide integrated care within several disciplines
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Commitment to education and inspiration of junior medical staff, medical students and other health professionals studying at the University of Auckland and the Bay of Plenty Clinical School.
- Interest in clinical research
Tauranga is a vibrant city and the surroundings are spectacular with beautiful beaches and countryside in close proximity. The Coromandel, East Cape and Auckland are all an easy drive away, as are the ski fields of the Central Plateau and Lake Taupō. There is outstanding access to outdoor recreational opportunities and a wide-range of schooling options, both public and private, an Institute of Technology and a recent addition is the University of Waikato Campus. Lifestyle options are diverse, and you can live 20 minutes from the hospital on a lifestyle block, in the bush, on an estuary with a boat or kayak or at the beachside town of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please forward your CV for immediate consideration.