This consultant position is based in the Older Adult Mental Health Service, which is part of the Mental Health and Addiction Service, in a 350 bed general hospital in an university town in the southern part of the north Island of New Zealand. The mental health services have been revamped for better patient service and you will work across hospital inpatient, out patient and community settings.
The hospital offers scope for combining clinical work with academic research, teaching and management.
The inpatient ward has 14 beds including 6 beds for the secure unit, which is supported by a well-established community team responsible for taking over patient care after hospital discharge. A full time social worker and a clinical nurse specialist are dedicated to the team.
Future plans include development of psychology services for the elderly and enhancing community services, including improved working arrangements with local rest homes and other agencies.
The complete range of psychiatry and mental health services provided by the hospital include:
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Comprehensive community adult services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
- Specialist services for Mental Health for the elderly
- Specialist community alcohol and drug services including OST services
- Comprehensive 24 hour acute care services (crisis intervention service)
- Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care-24 beds)
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Early intervention services
- Intensive community rehabilitation services.
- Assessment and management of elderly patients referred by GP or other physicians for psychiatric assessment.
- Ward rounds and management of in patients
- Outpatient and community clinics
- Supervision of junior medical staff
- Teaching of junior medical staff
- Participate in the development and quality of the old age psychiatry services
- Develop a niche area of special interest
- Vocational registration in Psychiatry or eligibility for this with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualification
This position is based at a 350 bed hospital in the Lower North Island of New Zealand. It is a secondary hospital and offers most medical and surgical specialities with the exception of Cardiothoracic, Plastic and Neurosurgery. It provides some tertiary care services.
The hospital serves a local population of 170,000 but is the base for a regional head and neck oncology service which has responsibility for a population of 550,000 and draws patients from Whanganui, Taranaki, and Hawkes' Bay.
The collegial relationships between departments are strong and consultation with other specialists is easy, either formally with multidisciplinary meetings or informally as required. There is an active postgraduate medical society and there are excellent clinical library facilities.
The hospital is embarking upon a transformational change programme to firmly establish itself as a high performing health system that meets the current and future demands of its communities, that provides improved patient experiences for service users, and that achieves improved patient and community health and wellbeing.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels. There are excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex. Cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
- Full time permanent role
- Salary NZ$ 190,000 - 270,000 pa
- Pension benefits
- Reimbursement of medical practice expenses
- CME programme
Interested? Apply Now!
Please forward your CV for immediate consideration for this role.