full time, permanent role
attractive location and lifestyle in an university city
competitive reumneration with pension benefits, 6 weeks paid leave and more
This consultant position is based in the Older Adult Mental Health Service, which is part of the Mental Health and Addiction Service, in a 350 bed general hospital in an university town in the southern part of the north Island of New Zealand. The mental health services have been revamped for better patient service and you will work across hospital inpatient, out patient and community settings.
The hospital offers scope for combining clinical work with academic research, teaching and management.
The inpatient ward has 14 beds including 6 beds for the secure unit, which is supported by a well-established community team responsible for taking over patient care after hospital discharge. A full time social worker and a clinical nurse specialist are dedicated to the team.
Future plans include development of psychology services for the elderly and enhancing community services, including improved working arrangements with local rest homes and other agencies.
The complete range of psychiatry and mental health services provided by the hospital include:
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Comprehensive community adult services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
- Specialist services for Mental Health for the elderly
- Specialist community alcohol and drug services including OST services
- Comprehensive 24 hour acute care services (crisis intervention service)
- Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care-24 beds)
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Early intervention services
- Intensive community rehabilitation services.
The department of psychiatry is accredited by Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists for registrar training in inpatient, general adult community, and child and adolescent psychiatry. There is a strong commitment to continuing medical education and professional development and a peer review group is enrolled with the maintenance of professional standards programme of the Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Assessment and management of elderly patients referred by GP or other physicians for psychiatric assessment.
- Ward rounds and management of in patients
- Outpatient and community clincs
- Supervision of junior medical staff
- Teaching of junior medical staff
- Participate in the development and quality of the old age psychiatry services
- Develop a niche area of special interest
- Vocational registration in Psychiatry or eligibility for this with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FRANZCP or equivalent
- Experience in old age psychiatry
- this role comes with a permanent employment contract which offers a competitive salary and benefits
- Generous relocation allowance
- Reimbursement of medical licence fees
- Excellent CME and CPD opportunities in clinical pratice, education, research and leadership
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels. There are excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex. Cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
The hospital is situated in a major university city and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two hour journey by road, as are the local wine growing regions.
If you are interested in this role please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
For new jobs, follow us on twitter @odysseymedic.