- Consultant Diagnostic Radiologist - Full time, permanent role in public sector secondary care hospital providing some tertiary services, teaching hospital affiliated with 2 medical schools
- Varied but not excessive workload, opportunities to develop subspecialist skills, interest in medical education, research opportunities
- Attractive lifestyle,proximity to the capital city and modest living costs whilst being surrounded by excellent educational facilities and cultural attractions
This role is based in a 350-bed general hospital serving a population of 170,000. It is affiliated with two medical schools and actively participates in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education including training for the FRANZCR for which it holds active accreditation. It also has a superb CME programme, an active postgraduate medical society and excellent clinical library facilities.
You will join a radiology department carrying out 96,000 radiological examinations per year with an interesting and varied workload.
Regional services include: Oncology, Breast Screening, Nephrology and Urology, with specialist clinics held at the hospital including Respiratory, Rheumatology, and Paediatrics. Visiting specialists from Wellington attend the hospital for Neurosurgery and Cardiothoracic surgery.
The radiology department has up to date equipment including CT, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, DSA, and seven general digital radiography rooms and Nuclear Medicine with two gamma cameras. There is the opportunity to work in Breast Screening
The hospital is a secondary care facility providing most medical and surgical services, except for Cardiothoracic Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Neurosurgery. But is the regional base for head and neck oncology service which has responsibility for a population of 550,000.
The collegial relationships between departments are strong and consultation with other specialists is easy, either formally with multidisciplinary meetings or informally as required.
The hospital undertook a transformational change programme to firmly establish itself as a high performing health system that meets the current and future demands of its communities, with a strong focus on patient experience and improved clinical outcomes.
- To provide a high standard of clinical practice and clinical expertise and effective radiology services to the community and region served by the Organisation. Radiology services include general CT and Ultrasound. You will join an established team of radiologists which provide a general diagnostic and interventional radiology service.
- Participate in the education and supervision of junior radiologists as they prepare for the FRANZCR exams.
- To provide advice to Manager, Medical Imaging, on radiology management matters and professional standards of practice.
- To provide supervision and instruction for Resident Medical Officers rostered to the radiology service.
- eligible for vocational registration in Radiology with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FRANZCR or equivalent specialist qualification in diagnostic radiology
- Demonstrated clinical, management, and teaching skills
- The ability to work effectively within the multi-disciplinary team.
- You can expect to have access to a thorough continuing medical education programme
- opportunities to participate in research projects, pursue subspecialist fields of interest and become involved with medical student and junior medical officer postgraduate education.
- Salary of NZ$ 190,000 – 270,000 pa
- Superannuation benefits
- 6 weeks annual paid leave
- Medical practice costs reimbursed
- Relocation costs for international physicians
The hospital is situated in a major university city and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two-hour journey by road, as are the local wine growing regions.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels.
There is excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex.
The cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable.
Why should you apply for this role?
This role is great for a diagnostic radiologist who wants to work in a well-equipped modern facility with an interesting but reasonable case load and lots of time for study, research and education.
The surrounding area offers a wonderful lifestyle, proximity to the capital city and modest living costs whilst being surrounded by excellent educational facilities and cultural attractions.
If you are interested in this role, please forward a detailed CV for immediate consideration.
Three professional radiologist referees are essential.
If you are interested in other similar roles, please register on our website and sign up for job alerts or get in touch to discuss.