Role: Consultant Adult Psychiatrist
Scope of Practice: Adult General Psychiatry
Contract: Permanent full time
This position is one of two psychiatrists providing services to the Adult population with mental health problems in the Far North locality.
There are currently 240 adult clients registered with mental health services. The service is co-located with Addiction services and Services for Older people. Mental health and Addiction Services for Child and Youth are adjacent to the facility, along with Kaitaia Hospital.
The area has a high level of deprivation which impacts on mental health and addiction services. 53% of the client base are Maori.
This position provides general adult community based clinical care across the Far North area, and would be ideal for those with a strong interest in rural psychiatry and broad skills in general adult mental health.
Working in partnership with the wider health; social and community sectors, you will join an innovative multidisciplinary team in contributing to an integrated model of service delivery in both outpatient and inpatient settings.
- To be considered, you must have or be eligible for specialist registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand in a vocational and/ or locum tenens Psychiatry scope of practice, with no restrictions to your APC.
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualification
The hospital offers
- on-going professional support with a commitment to continued medical education;
- professional development/ peer review
- participation in a growing service that has the opportunity to be at the forefront of both primary and secondary care innovations.
- provide a competitive relocation package to support you and your family to make the move to Whangārei (the employer is is also an Approved Accredited Employer by the New Zealand Immigration Service and can assist you to obtain an appropriate work visa).
As a region Northland is renowned for its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle. There are great surf beaches and beautiful harbours and bays for sailing, kite surfing and windsurfing. It is also a top spot for fishing and diving with easy access to the world famous Poor Knights Marine reserve. There are also many beautiful forests and stunning hills to explore and climb.
As well as a warm climate, the "winterless north" offers excellent schools, affordable housing and scenic coastal areas offering a range of recreational activities. It is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight from the international hub of Auckland and is well serviced with flights.
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV for immediate consideration.