- Public sector permanent role with access to private practice
- Attractive remuneration with benefits including paid annual leave, pension and practice expenses
- University city with cultural interests and extensive natural attractions and leisure pursuits
A Specialist Anaesthetist in a 350 bed general hospital with a large Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care staffed by 20 specialist anaesthetists, eight registrars in training posts and six senior house officers.
The Department provides a wide range of anaesthetic and intensive care services. The theatre complex consists of seven operating theatres
The hospital services offer:
- Almost all sub-specialties (except neurosurgery and cardiac surgery)
- Specialist medical staff with registrar and house officer support
- Active Postgraduate Medical Society
- Well-subscribed medical library with Medline computer facilities
- Committed multi-disciplinary teams for our services, including quality nursing and paramedical staff.
There is a healthy private practice of anaesthesia available locally, and a half day off per week would be available to pursue opportunities in this area.
- To provide a high standard of clinical practice and clinical expertise and effective anaesthesia services to the community and region served by the Organisation.
- To provide advice to the Operations Lead, Planned Care, on anaesthesia management matters and professional standards of practice.
- To provide supervision and instruction for Resident Medical Officers rostered to the ICU/Anaesthesia Service.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FANZCA or equivalent specialist qualification
- Demonstrated clinical, management and teaching skills and the ability to work effectively within the multi-disciplinary team
- You can expect to have access to a thorough continuing medical education programme
- opportunities to participate in research projects, pursue subspecialist fields of interest and become involved with medical student and junior medical officer postgraduate education.
- Salary of NZ$ 200,000 – 300,000 pa plus benefits
- Superannuation benefits
- 6 weeks annual paid leave
- Medical practice costs reimbursed
- Relocation costs for international physicians
- Private practice opportunities
A major university city in the North island of New Zealand, Palmerston North is the home of Massey University and is at the hub of key routes to the central North Island ski fields, and river adventures. Wellington the capital city, is only a two hour journey by road, as are the wine growing regions of Hawke’s Bay and Wairarapa.
Situated in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand, the local region offers visitors and residents a unique mix of lifestyle by combining rural charm with the convenience of sophisticated living with all modern services and luxuries expected of vibrant cities, including a shopping plaza, a Globe theatrical centre, the Regent and Centre Point theatres, and dozens of hotels/motels.
There are excellent primary, intermediate and secondary schooling, both public and private, mixed and single sex. Cost of living is reasonable, housing very affordable, and rural living with stunning views only minutes from town is very achievable
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
Register for job alerts on our website and follow new positions at twitter @odysseymedic