Contract: Permanent, full time
After the recent expansion of the hospital’s Theatre suite, there are exciting opportunities for experienced Anaesthetists to join the team of the Anaesthetic Department which is the largest department within the Surgical Service at NDHB, providing a 24 hour, 7 days per week service to the hospital as well as oversight to specialist anaesthetists employed at a satellite hospital.
The hospital is a 260 bed regional general facility which provides a complete range of secondary care services, 24/7 emergency department and supports three small regional hospitals. The tertiary referral centre is Auckland which is just two hours' drive or 25 minute flight away.
As a region Northland is renowned for its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle. There are great surf beaches and beautiful harbours and bays for sailing, kite surfing and windsurfing. It is also a top spot for fishing and diving with easy access to the world famous Poor Knights Marine reserve. There are also many beautiful forests and stunning hills to explore and climb.
- The Specialist Anaesthetist will share responsibility with their colleagues to ensure an efficient and effective quality anaesthetic and critical care services are provided.
- The Specialist Anaesthetist will perform anaesthetic duties which lie within their training and ability and will manage patients according to contemporary convention and college guidelines.
- Duties performed will be realistically possible within agreed contracted hours. Routine Hours are 8 am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Participation in the after-hours roster for Anaesthesia is a requirement of this role.
- Clinical Duties of the Specialist Anaesthetist may include: Provision of anaesthesia for elective surgery sessions. Provision of anaesthesia for acute (non-booked) surgery. Scheduled anaesthetic duties in other locations, i.e.: Radiology, CT, Psychiatric Unit, and Delivery Suite. Preoperative assessment clinics. Acute Pain Service duties.
- Ideally you will be a confident communicator in order to participate in teaching and training resident medical staff. You will also be actively involved in the consultant on call
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- FANZCA or equivalent board certification or Fellowship
- It is advantageous to have experience working within a similar healthcare system as New Zealand
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV for immediate consideration and include details of 3 referees