A specialist anaesthetist role is available in the Bay of Plenty New Zealand in an expanding anaesthesia service which is trying to meet the demands of a growing population of 230,000 and increasing. The role is based in the western part of the region but some sessions in the eastern Bay will be required, a 90-minute drive away.
The main hospital is a level 5 hospital with 24/7 emergency department, acute services including general medicine and medical sub-specialties, Cardiology, Intensive Care, Paediatrics, O&G, Mental Health, Orthopaedics, General and Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT and Ophthalmology. Waikato Hospital is the adult tertiary referral service, Starship for Paediatric tertiary services. It has a clinical school affiliated with the University of Auckland and is accredited for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
Skill and Qualifications
Applicants must hold or be eligible for vocational registration with the New Zealand Medical Council and hold FRANZCA or equivalent qualifications.
As well as excellent clinical skills, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in these key areas:
- Innovation of services and an enthusiasm for creative problem solving. You will be responsible for the integration of primary and secondary care services.
- Dedication to the provision of service quality
- Team working to effectively achieve defined goals.
- Understanding of cultural diversity and sensitive cultural issues
- Ability to provide integrated care within several disciplines
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Commitment to education and inspiration of junior medical staff, medical students and other health professionals studying at the University of Auckland and the Bay of Plenty Clinical School.
- Interest in clinical research
- Anaesthesia Services: Provide effective, efficient, and professional clinical anaesthetic care services when required including anaesthesia in the Operating Suite, Day Stay Unit, Radiology, Maternity Unit, Pre-assessment Clinics, and other rostered duties.
- Communication: Maintain an accurate, legible, and current medical record.
- Team Work: Function as part of a multidisciplinary team to promote high quality outcomes for patients by consistently demonstrating effective interpersonal relationships with other staff and patients, and handling problems with sensitivity.
- Liaise with medical staff in other departments and in other hospitals to ensure that patients are investigated in an appropriate and cost-effective manner. This commitment includes taking part in departmental meetings with other disciplines as required.
- Innovation and Service Development: Participate in the following activities required of Senior Medical staff: planning and service development for the Surgical, Anaesthesia & Radiology Services, and policy development, planning, contracting and evaluation for the BOPDHB
- Audit: Provide and participate in educational and service audit activities required of Senior Medical Staff, including review of patient care, patient diagnosis and standards of treatment
- Education: instruct, guide, and supervise the work of other staff involved in anaesthetic/intensive care services when appropriate and as required (ie. Anaesthetic Care Registrars, Technicians, and other relevant health professionals).
The role is full time and permanent.
A 1.0 FTE position comprises 7 clinical sessions and 1 nonclinical session each week. On-call obligations are on shared, rostered 14-hour basis (1800-0800) on weekdays and a 24-hour basis (0800-0800) on weekends. An opportunity exists to split weekend on-call obligations to 12 hours when possible by personal arrangement and with resultant increased frequency of on-call work. The Anaesthetist when on call is Category A – Immediate Availability, Frequent Contact.
Whakatàne is a beautiful New Zealand seaside town that provides a vibrant lifestyle. There is easy access to plenty outdoor pursuits to enjoy, including hiking, fishing, climbing, mountain biking, surfing, and golf. We are New Zealand’s sunshine capital, and our local Ohope Beach is New Zealand’s most loved beach. Tours to Rotorua lakes are an hour’s drive away, and the superb Whakapapa and Turoa ski-fields are within 2 to 3 hours’ drive. It is located in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, New Zealand's sunniest coast.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages