This is a great opportunity for a Consultant Anaesthetist to work in a fixed term I year full time role in Whakatane, one of the sunniest towns in New Zealand, starting this month or ASAP until December 2021. Located in a swiftly growing region, the hospital is one of two public sector facilities serving the region, and offers opportunities to work with an experienced and enthusiastic team of anaesthetists providing clinical anaesthesia and pain services and education and supervision for medical students and junior anaesthetists.
- Provide effective, efficient and professional clinical anaesthetic care services, participate in after hours shifts and on call rota.
- Clinical anaesthesia care coverage of the facility on a shared, rostered 24-hour basis. Services include anaesthesia in the Operating Suite, Day Stay Unit, Radiology, Maternity Unit, Preassessment Clinics, and other rostered duties.
- Aware of the role of patient advocates and patient’s rights and ensure informed consent has been obtained in accordance with hospital policy
- Maintenance of an accurate, legible and current medical record.
- Function as part of a multidisciplinary team to promote high quality outcomes for patients by consistently demonstrating effective interpersonal relationships with other staff and patients, and handling problems with sensitivity.
- Liaise with medical staff in other departments and in other hospitals to ensure that patients are investigated in an appropriate and cost-effective manner. This commitment includes taking part in departmental meetings with other disciplines as required.
- Provide and participate in educational and service audit activities required of Senior Medical Staff, including review of patient care, patient diagnosis and standards of treatment.
- Provide appropriate timely advice on clinical matters and professional standards of practice to the HOD Anaesthetist/Intensivists and/or the Medical Leader of Surgical, Anaesthesia & Radiology Services as requested.
- Participate in the following activities required of Senior Medical staff: planning and service development for the Surgical, Anaesthesia & Radiology Services, and policy development, planning, contracting and evaluation for the BOPD
- FRANZCA or equivalent specialist qualification in Anaesthesia
- Vocational registration or eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
The main centre for the eastern Bay of Plenty, Whakatāne is one of the sunniest towns in New Zealand. 90 kilometres east of Tauranga and 89 kilometres north-east of Rotorua, at the mouth of the Whakatāne River.
Whakatāne has an urban population of approximately 16,500, making it New Zealand’s 33rd largest urban area, and the Bay of Plenty’s third largest urban area behind Tauranga and Rotorua. In addition 21,000 people live in the surrounding townships of Te Kaha, Opotiki and Kawerau within Eastern Bay of Plenty region.
Whakatāne is also known for its fishing – more yellowfin tuna are caught here than anywhere else in the country. Other attractions include the museum, an observatory and Māori historical sites.
The Ngā Tapuwae o Toi walkway leads to pā sites (old fortified villages), native forest and seabird colonies. Whakatāne is also very close to Ōhope, a 10km white sandy beach, which has a small settlement and is perfect for camping, surfing, walking and relaxing in the sun. The brief overview above hopefully captures your interest in researching more into a move to the Bay of Plenty region.
Applications and Further Information:
If you are interested in this role please apply with a detailed CV not longer than 5 pages. For other similar roles, please search here.