This new nursing role is based in the beautiful mediterranean island of Malta with a major healthcare company. The position is full time, within the operating theatre suite, and reports to the operating theatre manager.
In this nursing role, you will prepare the operating room for the patient, Anaesthetist and Surgical team.. It is the duty of the Anaesthetic nurse to assist the surgical team by connecting equipment and circulating. It is essential to maintain a high standard of nursing care. The role should be carried out in professional manner and in accordance with hospital protocols and consultants preferences.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• The tasks of the Theatre Anaesthetic Nurse involves making sure all necessary equipment is available for surgical procedures prior to surgery and also to ensure the theatre and its areas are maintained to the required standard before, during and after surgery. It is imperative that a sterile environment is maintained at all times.
• Other responsibilities include ensuring adequate levels of stock are maintained within theatre and to complete all swab checks and instrument checks in accordance with the company policy.
• Enforcing World Health Organisation’s ‘Safe Surgical Checklist’ will be expected.
• Providing a clear and concise pre/post operation handover from Ward/Recovery Nurse is expected to ensure a smooth transition for the patient and also ensuring medical staff orders are correctly interpreted and carried out.
• It is essential that the Theatre Anaesthetic Nurse keeps up to date on nursing trends and techniques and also abides by company policy and protocol. It will be necessary to adhere to the company’s health and safety policy at all times.
• In addition it will be expected that the Theatre Anaesthetic Nurse will carry out other departmental duties as required and when requested by his/her immediate supervisor, including any other duties that may be required by the company from time to time.
The salary for an Anaesthetic nurse depends upon experience, however would range from €19550 to €21715 gross wage per annum. To this the following would be added: Allowance of €2571.84 and a Performance Allowance of between €3800 - €4000. Theatre nurses work a minimum of 6 on calls a month and if they are called in for an emergency they are paid at double rate for a minimum of three hours, even if the surgery will have taken less time.