- Consultant General Adult Psychiatrist
- Scope of practice – adult general and liaison psychiatry
- New Plymouth New Zealand
- Start Date: ASAP
- Contract: Full time, permanent
- Positions: 2
Motivated and experienced Psychiatrists are sought to join a team of 13 other Psychiatrists and will work with a dedicated team of medical, nursing and allied health staff primarily caring for people in an integrated setting with complex needs requiring specialist mental health services.
The roles are hospital based with the acute team, covering acute psychiatric admissions and liaison psychiatry throughout the general hospital. Consultation Liaison Psychiatrists are expert at the complex task of managing psychiatric illness in the context of the general hospital and the emergency department.
The responsibility of the Psychiatrist is to assure that the proper medical evaluation and management are accomplished for the medical stabilization of patients before providing the necessary psychiatric treatment in collaboration with the patient’s clinical team.
The Psychiatrist then arranges for psychiatric disposition, if and when that is clinically indicated.
The main responsibilities are to review clients triaged by the crisis team or via telephone assessment, and admit if necessary, to the ward.
Currently the job involves triaging GP referrals, managing patients admitted for detoxification to the medical wards and for liaising with medical / surgical wards for patients transferred from Te Puna Waiora, the inpatient unit.
The Consult Liaison is a dual post that incudes the Assessment and Brief Care team (ABC).
These posts are supported by Registrars.
The Mental Health & Addiction Services provides a wide range of specialist services:
- Acute Services: 23 bed inpatient unit (4 beds in IPC), ABC team, home based treatment service, high and complex needs community supported rehabilitation service with 4 beds.
- Adult Mental health: 2 community teams, Tui Ora kaupapa Maori community mental health team and specialist services such as maternal, eating disorders, and early intervention.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.
- Mental Health Services for Older people.
- Alcohol and Drugs
Location - New Plymouth
In this region of New Zealand, situated in the south west of the North Island, it is easy to achieve an enviable lifestyle without having to compromise your career path. The region’s amazing mountain, rivers, lakes, fantastic coastline and outstanding surfing and tramping opportunities, masses of parks and gardens, as well as a major events calendar, make it a great place to live and work.
Major attractions include Taraanki Mountain, Egmont National Park and the New Plymouth Coastal Walkway with Auckland just 50 minutes flight away and Wellington 60 minutes.
- Eligibility for vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand or be able to show you are on the path to getting this (we can assist you with this)
- FRANZCP or equivalent Postgraduate qualification in psychiatry
If you are interested in this position, please forward your CV for immediate consideration.
Register for job alerts and follow us on twitter for new positions @odysseymedic