The Medical Specialities Employers Are Seeking:
The continued expansion of medical services in the Middle East is fuelling the demand for medical staff. New hospital constructions, expansions of existing hospitals, the growth of the private sector and innovative new services are all creating new jobs and new clinical areas.
We have done an analysis of the key employer speciality demand over the last 3 months and the following list of speciality skills have predominated:
- Emergency Medicine: this is always a highly sought speciality and there is a shortage of good candidates.
- Neurology: Stroke experience is in strong demand due to ageing population and high incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Neurosurgery: generalists and surgeons with Paediatric Neurosurgical training
- Psychiatry: long stigmatised in the region, mental illness is now recognised as a serious challenge and services are expanding There is a need for subspecialists in Child and Adolescent as well as other areas.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology: many vacancies in this area exist throughout the region but most are for female physicians.
Primary Care is set to expand as preventative medicine and health screening become part of Government strategies.