What You Need to Know Before Moving to Malta

W1siziisijiwmtkvmtavmtcvmtevmzavmtivotkxl0fsbcb5b3ugbmvlzcb0bybrbm93ie1hbhrhlnbuzyjdlfsiccisinrodw1iiiwiodawedy1mfx1mdazyyjdxq

Sarah Peddie

Planning to move and work abroad can be a tricky business. There are many things that you need to sort out before arriving at your dream destination. 

But, no need to worry as we have put together some helpful information you need to know before you make your move to another country and start your new career overseas.

Article 8 - What You Need to Know Before Moving to Malta

1- Visa and Registration

The Medical Council Malta deal with the registration and regulation of Medical Practitioners and dental surgeons in Malta. Registration with the Medical Council Malta gives the right to seek employment in Malta.

Application forms can be found on their website.

For EU Nationals, it is easy to relocate to Malta as they do not require a visa to stay longer than 90 days. An EU National doesnt need a work permit either. As long as they have a confirmed job offer, they can move to Malta and their families can join.

Those who are not EU or EEA members will have to apply for work permits and have to apply for that through the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. A single permit application should be submitted and has to be approved by the employer.

A copy of your passport, a recent photograph, diplomas, references and your CV must be sent over.

A senior manager will then apply for your employment license served months before you plan to start.

Once you have the permit, contact a Maltese mission and ask what steps you have to take to get your visa sorted. The permit must be renewed every year, for up to three years.

2 - Healthcare

Malta’s healthcare system is almost universal with around 65% of health expenditure financed by taxes. The remaining 35% is paid by patients or voluntary healthcare.

Non EU Nationals will need to get health insurance coverage before applying for residency. 

3 - The Outdoors

There are many things outdoors to keep yourself occupied when living in Malta. Due to its great scenery and amazing weather, there is something for everyone to get involved with. Water sports and activities are very popular within the country. Sailing and diving are probably the most popular.

The Marsa Sports Club is a great place to go if you are into golf, tennis or cricket. Also, a swimming pool will never be far away from where you are.

4 - Language

Malta has two official languages which are English and Maltese. Roughly 98% of people speak Maltese and around 90 speak English. However, due to its close proximity to Italy, Italian is also spoken on the island but isn’t recognised as an official language.

5 - Climate 

Malta’s temperatures are controlled by the Mediterranean Sea which makes the country’s climate ideal for all-year round outdoor activities. It is a popular tourist destination due to the sunshine.

In January, it can get as low as 9°C and July can get up to 31°C. It doesn’t rain very much but when it does, it’s usually in winter. 

Ever fancied Malta as a place you want to work in? Register with Odyssey today and you can check out what jobs are available.