Accommodation: As a well-developed, Western city, there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to accommodation. Whether you are after a traditional ranch style family home or a modern skyscraping apartment you’ll find it in Auckland.
Rent prices are attractive too - on average 40% lower than they are in London, with a 3 bedroom city centre apartment costing around £1700 a month in rent - a figure that drops drastically as you leave the city.
- Be prepared for gravel roads - even some of New Zealand’s main roads are still gravel, so prepare to adapt your driving style.
- Never confuse a Kiwi with an Australian!
- Be prepared to work with the Māori people and their traditions.
- There is no tax-free income in New Zealand
- Be prepared for all weather conditions - even in summer!
- The Auckland Arts Festival - held in March each year showcases some of the finest new films and artwork in the world. A true cultural experience.
- Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki - has one of the most extensive collections of artwork in the country.
- Eden Park - sport dominates life in Auckland, and the city’s Eden Park plays host to world class cricket, rugby and football events.
- Tiritiri Matangi Island - a staggeringly beautiful wildlife sanctuary located 30km northeast of the city.
- Sky Tower - offers outstanding views over the city, especially at sunset.
- Overseas experiences will be listened to - especially if you’ve worked outwith the UK before.
- There is very little in the way of red-tape.
- Administrative tasks are usually efficiently dealt with.
- New Zealand was ranked as the second easiest country to do business in, in 2016.
- Greetings (and meetings) are usually relatively informal, with a handshake and eye contact are key.
- Organise your finances before making the move, have you converted enough money, do you have an overseas bank account, should you be paying any tax at home?
- Will your credit/debit cards work abroad?
- Is your airport pickup sorted, and do you know where you’re staying when you arrive?
- Do you have a phone that will work in your new location?
- When is your official start date?